Integrate (x^3 + x^2)/(1 + x^4) using substitution?

In summary: If you can't factorize x^{4}+1, you might want to try using the quadratic equation:x^{2}=(A+B)x^{2}+Cx+D.If you can't factorize x^{4}+1, you might want to try using the quadratic equation:x^{2}=(A+B)x^{2}+Cx+D.In summary, Integrate the following: x^3+x^2)/(1+x^4) can be solved by substitution, but can also be solved by factoring 1+x^4 into two quadratics and doing partial fraction decomposition.
ritwik06
Integrate the following:

(x^3+x^2)/(1+x^4)

I have been taught only integration by substitution. My teacher told me that this can be solved using that ith some trick.

I have tried for a long time. All that I can do was to convert the numerator to x^2(x+1)
and the denominator to (x^2-1)^2+2x^2
but without sucess.

Next I tried to break the given thing into two terms. it helped a little but I was again stuck on the second term, ie. , i couldn't again find out the integration of x^2/(1+x^4)

Please hlp me. Its maddening.

Physics news on Phys.org
Is it easy to find the integral of (x^2)/(1+x^4)
Please help me?

I have not tried this, but you could try factoring 1+x^4 into two quadratics, then do partial fraction decomposition.

[tex]\int\frac{x^{2}}{1+x^{4}}[/tex]

Can this be determined?

Big-T said:
I have not tried this, but you could try factoring 1+x^4 into two quadratics, then do partial fraction decomposition.

its difficult to factorize [tex]x^{4}+1[/tex].
Moreover,
can u please tell me about partial fractions decomposition? I haven't learned it yet.

ritwik06 said:
[tex]\int\frac{x^{2}}{1+x^{4}}[/tex]

Can this be determined?

Have you tried the obvious substitution u= x4+ 1??

HallsofIvy said:
Have you tried the obvious substitution u= x4+ 1??
yes,
it yields the following:
0.25[tex]\int\frac{1}{u \sqrt[4]{(u-1)}}[/tex]du
But does this help or more complicate the problem?

Last edited:
Please help? If u think it can't be done with substitution. Please tell me about the other method, if any. Just a brief idea.

[tex]1+x^4 = 1+2x^2+x^4 - 2x^2=(1+x^2)^2-2x^2=(1-\sqrt 2 x + x^2)(1+\sqrt 2 x+x^2)[/tex].

As to partial fraction decomposition, I suggest you have a look in your textbook or at wikipedia or other webpages.

Big-T said:
[tex]1+x^4 = 1+2x^2+x^4 - 2x^2=(1+x^2)^2-2x^2=(1-\sqrt 2 x + x^2)(1+\sqrt 2 x+x^2)[/tex].

As to partial fraction decomposition, I suggest you have a look in your textbook or at wikipedia or other webpages.

Yeah, I have read now about partial fractions. It means to cahnge the given thing into sum of 2 fractions. But hile trying to change:
[tex]\frac{x^{2}}{1+x^{4}}[/tex]
in the form of
[tex]\frac{A}{1-x\sqrt{2}+x^{2}}[/tex]+[tex]\frac{B}{1+x\sqrt{2}+x^{2}}[/tex]
I get the following equation:
[tex]x^{2}[/tex]=(A+B)x[tex]^{2}[/tex]+(A+B)(2[tex]\sqrt{x}[/tex]+1)

I cannot solve further for A and B. Can u do it?

Its one hell out of the other. What should I do? Please help me! and try it out before answering. Thanks for all efforts!

Anyone going to help me out? Please!

Your fractions should be of the form:
[tex]\frac{Ax+B}{1-x\sqrt{2}+x^{2}} + \frac{Cx+D}{1+x\sqrt{2}+x^{2}}[/tex].

Related to Integrate (x^3 + x^2)/(1 + x^4) using substitution?

1. What is the basic concept of substitution in integration?

Substitution is a technique used in integration to simplify a complex function by replacing a variable with another expression. This allows us to solve integrals that would otherwise be difficult or impossible to solve.

2. How do I determine which substitution to use?

The most common substitution used in integration is the u-substitution, where we let u be equal to a portion of the integrand. Other substitutions, such as trigonometric or hyperbolic substitutions, may be used for more complex integrals.

3. How do I know if a substitution is successful?

If a substitution is successful, the resulting integral should be easier to solve than the original one. Additionally, the limits of integration should also be adjusted accordingly.

4. Can substitution be used to solve all integrals?

No, substitution is just one of many techniques used in integration. Some integrals may require other methods such as integration by parts or partial fractions.

5. How do I integrate (x^3 + x^2)/(1 + x^4) using substitution?

To integrate this function using substitution, we can let u = x^2 + 1. This will simplify the integral to 1/u, which can then be easily integrated. After solving for u, we can substitute back in the original variable, x, to get the final answer.