Integrate x^2 / (x^2 + a^2)^3/2 dx

In summary, the conversation is about a math problem that requires trigonometric substitution to solve and involves a variable "a" in the denominator of two terms in the answer. The person seeking help is a volunteer math coach with a masters in electrical engineering. They provide a solution attempt using x = atan theta, but it is incorrect. The solution is an indefinite integral and there is a mistake in the argument of the natural log.
Ray Beaver

Homework Statement

My solution has two terms divided by a which is in error. I am a volunteer math coach to some junior college students and can't find my error in the problem. Its been a while since I earned my masters in electrical engineering.

The issue is the presencce of the variable "a" in the denominator of two of the terms in the answer. I can't imagine why the "a"s are not in the correct answer.

Homework Equations

The problem requires solution by trigonometric substitution. All other equations are listed in my attempt at the problem.

The Attempt at a Solution

My work is all on the solution attempt.

Attachments

• Problem 10.jpg
    Problem 10.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 449
Physics news on Phys.org
Seems like an ##x=atan \theta## or ##x=asec \theta ## would work.

WWGD said:
Seems like an ##x=atan \theta## or ##x=asec \theta ## would work.

The solution I provided attempts to use x = a tan theta but the solution is incorrect

Ray Beaver said:
The solution I provided attempts to use x = a tan theta but the solution is incorrect

Is the solution an indefinite (general) or definite integral (numerical value)?

EDIT: Nevermind, I did not read carefully and did not see the 3/2 exponent. Please ignore and let me
rethink. It is a variant of the one with power 1/2, but needs some changes.

Last edited:
The solution is listed at the bottom of the attempt I posted and is indefinite.

The solution at the bottom of the solution page is missing a minus sign in front of the first term, my mistake in listing the correct answer. My answer has that term correct, but is in error in the argument of the natural log.

Related to Integrate x^2 / (x^2 + a^2)^3/2 dx

1. What is the purpose of integrating x^2 / (x^2 + a^2)^3/2?

The purpose of integrating x^2 / (x^2 + a^2)^3/2 is to find the area under the curve of the given function. This is useful in many areas of science, such as calculating volumes, center of mass, and work done in physics.

2. What is the general formula for integrating x^2 / (x^2 + a^2)^3/2?

The general formula for integrating x^2 / (x^2 + a^2)^3/2 is ∫ x^2 / (x^2 + a^2)^3/2 dx = -1/(2a^2√(a^2+x^2)) + C, where C is the constant of integration.

3. How do you solve for the indefinite integral of x^2 / (x^2 + a^2)^3/2?

To solve for the indefinite integral of x^2 / (x^2 + a^2)^3/2, you can use the substitution method or integration by parts. Both methods require some algebraic manipulation and may result in different forms of the solution, but both will give the same result.

4. What is the significance of the constant of integration in this integration?

The constant of integration, represented by C, is added to the solution when integrating a function. It represents all possible solutions to the equation and is essential for finding the specific solution to a definite integral. In this case, the constant of integration is needed to accurately find the area under the curve.

5. Can this integral be solved using any other methods?

Yes, this integral can also be solved using partial fractions or trigonometric substitution. However, these methods may result in more complex solutions and may not be as straightforward as the substitution or integration by parts methods. It is always helpful to have multiple methods to solve an integral in case one method becomes too complicated or challenging to use.