Integrate with multiple variables in denominator?

In summary, harup is trying to find the jacobian for the original problem, where he substituted 1-v^2 for v and then had to integrate tan^-1. He found that he needed to substitute v from -1/2 to +1/2 and u from |v| to 1-|v|.
jketts
Hey everyone, I need to do the following integral. I just need a little help getting this started, I'm not sure where I need to go. Here is the problem:

[itex]\int_{0}^{1-v} du \int_{0}^{\frac{1}{2}} dv \frac{1}{1+u^2-v^2} [/itex]

I think I have the boundaries for the integral set up correctly, {0≤v≤1/2, 0≤u≤1-v}.
I know that I will have to use [itex]\int dx \frac{1}{c^2+x^2} = \frac{1}{c}tan^ {-1}\frac{x}{2}[/itex]

I began by trying to substitute 1-v^2 as a variable, but then I had to try to integrate tan^-1 with a bunch of square roots in it and that got really bad looking pretty quickly. Thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
I would try a change of coordinates, like x = u+v, y = u-v. The region gets a little more complicated but it's not too bad. Don't forget the Jacobian.

The original problem wants to change it from x and y to terms of u and v. I.e., x=u-v, y=u+v.

jketts said:
The original problem wants to change it from x and y to terms of u and v. I.e., x=u-v, y=u+v.

Could you give us the original question with the original region?

Sure, [itex]\int\int_{D}{} \frac{1}{1+xy} dxdy[/itex] D={(x,y);0≤x≤1,0≤y≤1}, x=u-v, y=u+v. That's all I am given.

jketts said:
Sure, [itex]\int\int_{D}{} \frac{1}{1+xy} dxdy[/itex] D={(x,y);0≤x≤1,0≤y≤1}, x=u-v, y=u+v. That's all I am given.

Follow what harup said and at least calculate your jacobian.

##dxdy = \frac{∂(x, y)}{∂(u, v)}dudv##

Ok, then you need to look at what you can substitute for v after the first integration. You have ##\frac1{\sqrt{1-v^2}} atan(\sqrt\frac{1-v}{{1+v}})##, right? Let ##\theta = atan(\sqrt\frac{1-v}{{1+v}})##, so ##tan^2(\theta) =\frac{1-v}{1+v}##. When you see tan-squared, what do you think of?

jketts said:
That integration range doesn't match what you have in u, v coordinates in the OP.

[itex] \int_{v}^{1-v} [/itex]

I think I had that part wrong.

jketts said:
[itex] \int_{v}^{1-v} [/itex]

I think I had that part wrong.

It gets a bit messy. Something like v from -1/2 to +1/2, u from |v| to 1-|v|.
Did you figure out what to do with the tan-squared?

Related to Integrate with multiple variables in denominator?

1. What is integration with multiple variables in the denominator?

Integration with multiple variables in the denominator refers to the process of finding the antiderivative of a function that has multiple variables in the denominator. This involves using techniques such as partial fractions, substitution, and integration by parts.

2. What is the purpose of integrating with multiple variables in the denominator?

The purpose of integrating with multiple variables in the denominator is to simplify and evaluate complex integrals. This allows us to find solutions to more complicated mathematical problems and model real-world phenomena.

3. What are some strategies for integrating with multiple variables in the denominator?

Some strategies for integrating with multiple variables in the denominator include breaking down the fraction into simpler fractions, making a substitution to transform the integral into a more manageable form, and using integration by parts.

4. Can integration with multiple variables in the denominator be done by hand?

Yes, integration with multiple variables in the denominator can be done by hand using various techniques as mentioned before. However, for more complex integrals, it may be necessary to use a computer or calculator to obtain a numerical solution.

5. What are some common applications of integration with multiple variables in the denominator?

Integration with multiple variables in the denominator is commonly used in physics, engineering, and other fields to solve problems involving rates of change, optimization, and areas/volumes. It is also used in economic and financial models to analyze and predict market trends.