Integrate over complex contour

In summary, the integral over the contour C when f(z) = 1/z and C = {z(t) = sin(t) + icos(t) | 0 <= t <= 2*pi} is messy and can be simplified using the residue theorem.
beefcake24
Evaluate the integral over the contour C when:

f(z) = 1/z and C = {z(t) = sin(t) + icos(t) | 0 <= t <= 2*pi}

I know f(z) = 1/r*e^(-it) = 1/r(cos(t) + isin(t)). But, when I try to take the contour integral by integrating f[z(t)]*z'(t), I get really messy formulas ((1/r*cos(sin(t)) + i*1/r*sin(cos(t)))*(cos(t) + -i*sin(t)), which makes me think I'm missing something.

Can anyone help me out on this? I have a midterm tomorrow and this was one of the practice questions.

Physics news on Phys.org
what does the contour look like? do you think you could use the residue theorem?

I don't know, we haven't covered the residue theorem yet, and we do not need to know the residue theorem for our midterm, so I think we should be able to solve this without it.

The contour is just the unit circle, but starting at (0,i) when t=0 instead of (0,0) and traversed clockwise. Does this mean I can just take the negative of the integral around the unit circle? I know traversing a path in the opposite direction just changes the sign of the integral, and I don't think having a different starting point should affect the value, because you are traversing the same path. Can someone confirm this, or if I'm wrong, point me in the right direction?

Yes, so it would be better to write z in polar form. [itex]z= cos(t)+ i sin(t)= e^{it}[/itex]
What are 1/z and dz?

That is pretty close to trivial to integrate.

Just as in real integration, integrating over the same path in the opposite direction (you would be integrating from [itex]t= 2\pi[/itex] to 0 rather than vice-versa, changes the sign.

If you want to do it more "directly", remember that [itex]sin(z)= (e^{iz}- e^{-iz})/2i= -i(e^{iz}- e^{-iz})/2[/itex] and [itex]cos(x)= (e^{iz}+ e^{-iz})/2[/itex] so that [itex]sin(z)+ icos(z)= -i(e^{iz}- e^{-iz})/2+ i(e^{iz}+ e^{-iz})/2= e^{-iz}[/itex]. Again, just the previous formula with -iz rather than iz so that [itex]dz= -ie^{-iz}dz[/itex], and now you integrate from 0 to [itex]2\pi[/itex].

Last edited by a moderator:
Perfect, that was just what I needed to finish the problem. Thanks!

Related to Integrate over complex contour

What is meant by "integrate over complex contour"?

Integrating over a complex contour refers to the process of calculating the area underneath a complex function over a path in the complex plane. This is similar to integrating a real-valued function over an interval, but in the complex plane, the path may not be a straight line and may contain curves and corners.

Why is integrating over a complex contour useful?

Integrating over a complex contour is useful because it allows us to evaluate complex integrals that may not have a closed-form solution. It also allows us to extend the concept of integration to functions that are not defined on the real line.

How do you choose a contour for complex integration?

Choosing a contour for complex integration involves finding a path in the complex plane that satisfies certain criteria, such as being closed and avoiding singularities of the function being integrated. The contour must also be simple enough to allow for straightforward calculation of the integral.

What are some common techniques used for integrating over complex contours?

Some common techniques for integrating over complex contours include the Cauchy integral theorem, Cauchy's residue theorem, and the method of steepest descent. These techniques involve using properties of complex functions, such as analyticity and singularities, to simplify the integration process.

What are some real-world applications of integrating over complex contours?

Integrating over complex contours has many applications in physics, engineering, and mathematics. It is used in the calculation of electric and magnetic fields, fluid flow, and signal processing. It is also used in solving differential equations and evaluating special functions.