Integrate Hard Integral Homework Problem: Step by Step Guide

In summary, the conversation discusses different strategies for integrating a given equation, including using trigonometric identities and polar coordinates. The final result is achieved through a triple substitution and the use of the trigonometric identity tan^2(y)+1=1/cos^2(y). The conversation also mentions the option of eliminating t and expressing y as a function of x, although this may be more complicated.
evol_w10lv

Homework Statement

How to integrate:
ww682rqwias6riyy5m97.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I used formula: sin^2(t) = ( 1-cos^2(t))
and now it's:
9lkj89s3d5cesi48a3ax.png

Then:
u=cos(t)
du=-sin(t)
8y6dyp0r0o162zbcibba.png

What to do next?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
We may now rewrite the integrand as:
[tex]-6\sqrt{s^{2}+1}, s=\frac{\sqrt{5}u}{2}[/tex]
Now, utilize the trigonometric identity:
[tex]\tan^{2}(y)+1=\frac{1}{\cos^{2}(y)}[/tex]
in a creative way.

Likes 1 person
Where did the 3 come from?
Try using the identity 1 + tan2x = sec2x after some initial manipulation of the integrand.

Likes 1 person
Actually the task sounds like this:
v4jlxgd41iy2lui365kt.png

Maybe I have to use polar coordinates? Any sugestions? Before I tried with diferent way, but I guess that integration without polar coordinates is too hard.

L is a segment of an ellipse. You might go polar, but you can eliminate t as well, and express y as a function of x(Hint: sin^+cos^2=1)

rz4k8k32eudm9k2wr91e.png

Seems to me that variant when we use y=y(x) is more complicated than variant with polar coordinates.

arildno said:
We may now rewrite the integrand as:
[tex]-6\sqrt{s^{2}+1}, s=\frac{\sqrt{5}u}{2}[/tex]
Now, utilize the trigonometric identity:
[tex]\tan^{2}(y)+1=\frac{1}{\cos^{2}(y)}[/tex]
in a creative way.

Not clear, how did you get there: [tex]s=\frac{\sqrt{5}u}{2}[/tex]
We didn't learn about triple substitution, but I want to understand, how to get the final result. Can you explain some how?

Related to Integrate Hard Integral Homework Problem: Step by Step Guide

1. What is an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve in a graph. It is used to find the total value of a function over a given interval.

2. Why are integrals considered difficult?

Integrals can be challenging because they require a strong understanding of calculus and the ability to manipulate complex equations. They also often involve multiple steps and require knowledge of different integration techniques.

3. What is the step by step guide for solving a hard integral homework problem?

The first step is to identify the integral and determine if it is a definite or indefinite integral. Then, use various integration techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or trigonometric substitutions to simplify the integral. Next, apply the fundamental theorem of calculus to evaluate the integral. Finally, check your answer using differentiation to ensure it is correct.

4. How can I improve my integration skills?

To improve your integration skills, it is important to have a strong understanding of calculus and practice solving integrals regularly. Familiarize yourself with different integration techniques and their applications. Additionally, reviewing and understanding theorems and formulas related to integration can also help improve your skills.

5. Are there any tips for solving hard integral homework problems?

One tip is to start by simplifying the integral as much as possible before attempting to solve it. Breaking down a complex integral into smaller, more manageable parts can make it easier to solve. Additionally, it is important to carefully check your work and double-check your answer using differentiation. Don't be afraid to ask for help or consult resources such as textbooks or online tutorials for guidance.