Integrate Function: Can't Find Answer Key - Help Needed

• Thread starter okevino
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integrate
In summary, the question is asking how to integrate a function from 1 to 2. The original function was from a previous year's final exam, so there is no answer key. GibZ said that if you know the integral of sec^2, you're pretty much done. However, when Mute tried to integrate from 1 to 2, he didn't get the answer. GibZ said that if you set x to some value, the upper and lower bounds need to change, but he doesn't remember if there's such thing.
okevino
question in the attachment...

integrate this function from 1 to 2.

i can't find a way to do this quesiton
it's from previous year final exam so there's no answer key to it..

hope someone would teach me..
thanks..

Attachments

• integrate.JPG
    integrate.JPG
    1.5 KB · Views: 346
Physics news on Phys.org
Have you learned trigonometric substitution? Let [itex]x = \sqrt(5)\sin\theta[/itex], and use the pythagorean identity to write [itex]5(1-\sin^2\theta) = 5\cos^2\theta[/itex].

Under this change of variables, [itex]dx = \sqrt(5)\cos\theta d\theta[/itex]. Your integral then becomes an integral over a constant times [itex]1/\cos^2\theta = sec^2\theta[/itex]. If you know the integral of [itex]sec^2\theta[/itex], you're pretty much done then.

alright..
but where did the 3/2 go..

right now i have...

4/5 integral sec^2 theta..

if I'm right at this point
so...
integral of sec^2 is tan x
but i set x = root5 sin theta earlier..
how do i finish this question..

Last edited:
The Exponents canceled each other out.

[tex]\int \frac{4}{(5-x^2)^{3/2}} dx[/tex].

Now We do the substitution Mute said. [itex]dx = \sqrt(5)\cos\theta d\theta[/itex]

So now the integral is [tex]\int {4\sqrt{5} \cos \theta}{5^{3/2}\cdot (\cos^2 \theta)^{3/2}} d\theta[/tex]

We can take all constants out. When we have a power to a power, we multiply the powers. 3/2 times 2 is just 3.

[tex]\frac{4\sqrt{5}}{5^{3/2}} \int \frac{\cos \theta}{\cos^3 \theta} d\theta = \frac{4\sqrt{5}}{5^{3/2}} \int \frac{1}{\cos^2 \theta} d\theta[/tex]. As Mute said, 1/cos^2 theta is sec^2 theta. And the integral of that is easy, you should know that.

O and the constant on the outside simplifies to 4/5.

that's exactly what i said ..
but if i take the integral from 1 to 2..
i dont' get the answer 6/5

cuz i think if you set x to some value.
the upper and lower bound needs to change..
but i dont' remember if there's such thing..

Well The integral is (4/5) tan theta.

x = sqrt{5} sin theta.
sin theta = x/(sqrt5)
theta = arcsin (x/sqrt5)
The integral is therefore 4/5 tan (arcsin x/sqrt5). Plug in x values and subtract.

my x values are 1 to 2..
if i sub into arcsinx it's undefined.

That would be a problem, except that you want to sub into arcsin(x/sqrt5), not arcsinx.

wow...
great...
got it...
thanks mute and GibZ..

Related to Integrate Function: Can't Find Answer Key - Help Needed

1. What is an integrate function?

An integrate function is a mathematical function that calculates the area under a curve on a graph. It is used to find the total value or quantity of a changing variable over a specific interval.

2. Why can't I find the answer key for an integrate function?

Answer keys for integrate functions are not readily available because the solutions may vary depending on the specific function being integrated and the method used to solve it. It is important to understand the concepts and techniques involved in integration rather than relying on a specific answer key.

3. How do I solve an integrate function?

To solve an integrate function, you must first identify the function being integrated and the limits of integration. Then, you can use various techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or trigonometric identities to find the solution. It is also important to understand the properties and rules of integration.

4. What are some common mistakes when solving an integrate function?

Some common mistakes when solving an integrate function include forgetting to include the constant of integration, making errors in algebraic manipulations, and using the wrong method to solve the function. It is important to double-check your work and practice regularly to avoid these mistakes.

5. How can I get help with an integrate function problem?

If you are having trouble solving an integrate function, you can seek help from a math tutor, teacher, or online resources. It is also helpful to practice regularly and to ask for clarification on any concepts you do not understand. Additionally, there are many online forums and communities where you can ask for help and receive guidance from fellow students or experts.