Integrate curve f ds Line Integrals

In summary: Thankfully, someone was able to clarify it for me. In summary, the person is trying to solve for y in terms of x and t. They are having trouble figuring out how to take the anti-derivative of √(1+9xy)... which would be √(1+9t^4)... and they are grateful for the help of the person.
Unart

Homework Statement

Compute ∫f ds for f(x,y)= √(1+9xy), y=x^3 for 0≤x≤1

Homework Equations

∫f ds= ∫f(c(t))||c'(t)||

||c'(t)|| is the magnitude of ∇c'(t)

The Attempt at a Solution

So, with this equation y=x^3 ... I got the that c(t)= <t,t^3>
c'(t)=<1,3t^2>

I know that from the equation y=x^3... x=t=0 and 1... I don't know how to get the magnitude of such equation. They the lower and upper limit.

Another thing is I cannot for the life of me figure out how to take the anti-derivative of √(1+9xy)... which by the time I change to t it would be √(1+9t^4)...

Of course if I'm approaching this the wrong way please, tell me what I'm doing wrong. Please let me know if it isn't clear enough.

Physics news on Phys.org
Unart said:
||c'(t)|| is the magnitude of ∇c'(t)
Do you mean ||c'(t)|| is the magnitude of ∇c(t)?

The Attempt at a Solution

So, with this equation y=x^3 ... I got the that c(t)= <t,t^3>
c'(t)=<1,3t^2>
So ||c'(t)|| = √(1+9t4), yes?
Another thing is I cannot for the life of me figure out how to take the anti-derivative of √(1+9xy)... which by the time I change to t it would be √(1+9t^4)...
Yes, but after you multiply that by ||c'(t)|| it will look a lot nicer.

Yes, but after you multiply that by ||c'(t)|| it will look a lot nicer.
No joke... thanks to you. It cleared up a whole lot of dark and dreary confusion. I was plugging the number into the Magnitude equation and getting just a number for the magnitude. I didn't know that you just took the derivative as and used the magnitude equation from that.

THANKYOU!
I posted another question and the past and began to worry if my wording or something was off.

Related to Integrate curve f ds Line Integrals

1. What is a line integral?

A line integral is a type of integral that is used to calculate the total value of a function along a curve or path in a two or three-dimensional space. It takes into account the direction and length of the curve to determine the value of the function at each point.

2. How do you calculate a line integral?

To calculate a line integral, you first need to parameterize the curve or path in terms of a single variable. Then, you integrate the function along this parameterization, taking into account the direction and length of the curve. This can be done using various techniques such as the Fundamental Theorem of Line Integrals or Green's Theorem.

3. What is the difference between a line integral and a regular integral?

The main difference between a line integral and a regular integral is that a line integral is calculated along a curve or path, while a regular integral is calculated over an interval or region. Additionally, a line integral takes into account the direction and length of the curve, while a regular integral does not.

4. What is the significance of line integrals in physics?

Line integrals are widely used in physics to calculate various physical quantities such as work, flux, and circulation. They are also used to calculate the potential and electric fields in electromagnetism and to determine the path of a particle in a vector field.

5. What are some practical applications of line integrals?

Line integrals have many practical applications, including calculating the work done by a force, finding the mass of a wire or cable, determining the center of mass of a wire, and calculating the flow of a fluid along a curved path. They are also used in engineering, physics, and mathematics to solve various problems involving curves and paths.