Integrate (cos(p)/(sqrt(1-sin^2p)))dp

• Thread starter g.lemaitre
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integrate
In summary, the conversation is about the integration of a trigonometric function and the use of the Pythagorean identity to solve for the unknown variable. The speaker is also curious if the other person is familiar with the concept of trigonometric substitution in integrals.
g.lemaitre

Homework Statement

Screenshot2012-08-06at50909AM.png

The Attempt at a Solution

It looks like they think the integration of (cos(p)/(sqrt(1-sin^2p)))dp = 1. I don't see how. I looked at my table of common integrals and I didn't see it. I know that cos^2 + sin^2 = 1 of course but I don't how that helps with the above.

Physics news on Phys.org
g.lemaitre said:

Homework Statement

Screenshot2012-08-06at50909AM.png

The Attempt at a Solution

It looks like they think the integration of (cos(p)/(sqrt(1-sin^2p)))dp = 1.

No, they're not saying that. They're saying that:

[tex]\frac{\cos\phi}{\sqrt{1 - \sin^2{\phi}}} = 1[/tex]

(which is true as long as [itex]\phi[/itex] lies in the first or fourth quadrants, a condition which is presumably satisfied by the physical constraints of the problem).

I don't see how. I looked at my table of common integrals and I didn't see it. I know that cos^2 + sin^2 = 1 of course but I don't how that helps with the above.

That identity is the only one you need. Try solving [itex]\cos^2 \phi + \sin^2 \phi = 1[/itex] for [itex]\cos \phi[/itex]. Now what happens when you apply that result to the denominator of the integrand?

Last edited:
It is very likely the integral above was preceeded by an integral of the kind
[tex]\int_{D}\frac{dt}{1-t^2}[/tex]
and a substitution t=sin(x) was performed. I am curious whether you are aware of the term "trigonometric substitution" in an integral? If you do, this should have been no problem. The only identity you need is the Pythagorean identity, which you stated wasn't enough.

Related to Integrate (cos(p)/(sqrt(1-sin^2p)))dp

1. What is the formula for integrating cos(p)/(sqrt(1-sin^2p))dp?

The formula for integrating cos(p)/(sqrt(1-sin^2p))dp is ∫cos(p)/(sqrt(1-sin^2p))dp = arcsin(sin(p)) + C.

2. How do you solve the integral of cos(p)/(sqrt(1-sin^2p))dp?

To solve the integral of cos(p)/(sqrt(1-sin^2p))dp, you can use the substitution method by letting u = sin(p) and du = cos(p)dp. This will transform the integral into ∫1/√(1-u^2)du, which can be solved using the inverse trigonometric function, arcsin.

3. What is the domain of integration for cos(p)/(sqrt(1-sin^2p))dp?

The domain of integration for cos(p)/(sqrt(1-sin^2p))dp is -π/2 ≤ p ≤ π/2, since the integral is undefined for values of p that result in a division by zero (i.e. sin^2p = 1).

4. Can the integral of cos(p)/(sqrt(1-sin^2p))dp be solved using other methods?

Yes, the integral of cos(p)/(sqrt(1-sin^2p))dp can also be solved using trigonometric identities, such as the Pythagorean identity (sin^2p + cos^2p = 1) and the double angle formula (cos(2p) = 1 - 2sin^2p). However, the substitution method is typically the most efficient approach.

5. What are some real-world applications of integrating cos(p)/(sqrt(1-sin^2p))dp?

The integral of cos(p)/(sqrt(1-sin^2p))dp has various applications in physics, engineering, and other fields. For example, it can be used to calculate the work done by a force acting at an angle, the displacement of a pendulum, and the velocity of a rotating object. It is also commonly used in solving differential equations in mechanics and electronics.