Integrate complex function over unit circle

In summary, the task was to calculate the integral of ##z^2exp(\frac{2}{z})dz## where ##K## is the unit circle. The method used was to apply the general formula ##\int _\gamma f(z)dz=2\pi i\sum_{k=1}^{n}I(\gamma,a_k)Res(f,a_k)## and then finding the residue using the Laurent series. The result obtained was ##\int _Kz^2exp(\frac{2}{z})dz=2\pi i \frac{4}{3}##, which was confirmed to be correct using WolframAlpha.
skrat

Homework Statement

Calculate ##\int _Kz^2exp(\frac{2}{z})dz## where ##K## is unit circle.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Hmmm, I am having some troubles here. Here is how I tried:

In general ##\int _\gamma f(z)dz=2\pi i\sum_{k=1}^{n}I(\gamma,a_k)Res(f,a_k)## where in my case ##I(\gamma , a_k)=1##.

Now ##Res(f,a_k)##:

##f(z)=z^2exp(\frac{2}{z})=z^2\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{1}{n!}(\frac{2}{z})^n=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{1}{n!}\frac{2^n}{z^{n-2}}##

To get ##\frac{1}{z}## clearly ##n-2=1## so ##n=3##.

Which gives me ##Res(f , 0)=\frac{4}{3}##.

Therefore ##\int _Kz^2exp(\frac{2}{z})dz=2\pi i \frac{4}{3}##.Or is that completely wrong? Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
This is absolutely correct!

EDIT: Remember you can always verify your Laurent series (the hardest part in my opinion) using WolframAlpha :D

Thank you! =)

You know, I presume that [itex]e^x= 1+ x+ x^2/2+ x^3/6+ \cdot\cdot\cdot+ x^n/n!+ \cdot\cdot\cdot[/itex].

So [itex]e^{2/z}= 1+ 2/z+ 2/z^2+ 4/(3z^3)+ \cdot\cdot\cdot[/itex] and then
[itex]z^2e^{2/z}= z^2+ 2z+ 2+ 4/(3z)+ \cdot\cdot\cdot[/itex]

The integral around the closed circle of any power of z (positive or negative), except -1, is 0 and the integral of [itex]z^{-1}[/itex] is [itex]2\pi i[/itex] (which is where the idea of "residue" comes from) so the integral of [itex]z^2e^{2/z}[/itex] around the unit circle is [itex](4/3)(2\pi i)= (8/3)\pi i[/itex].

hehe, nicely said Hallsoflvy. Everything is a bit more obvious now. Thank you!

Related to Integrate complex function over unit circle

1. What is a complex function?

A complex function is a mathematical function that operates on complex numbers, which are numbers that have both a real and imaginary component. Complex functions are used to model and solve problems in various fields of science and engineering.

2. What does it mean to integrate a complex function?

Integrating a complex function means finding the area under the curve of the function on a complex plane. This is similar to integrating a real-valued function, but with the added complication of working with complex numbers.

3. What is the unit circle?

The unit circle is a circle with a radius of 1 centered at the origin on a complex plane. It is often used in mathematics to simplify calculations and visualize complex numbers.

4. Why is integrating over the unit circle useful?

Integrating a complex function over the unit circle can help us understand the behavior of the function on the entire complex plane. It can also be used to calculate the residues, or singularities, of the function, which are important in complex analysis.

5. What is the process for integrating a complex function over the unit circle?

The process for integrating a complex function over the unit circle involves converting the function into polar form, evaluating the integral using the appropriate techniques (such as the Cauchy integral formula), and then converting the result back to rectangular form. It is important to carefully consider the poles and branch cuts of the function when performing this integration.