Integrate 1/(1+e^x) dx: Solving the Problem

• Thread starter cloveryeah
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integration
In summary, the conversation is about integrating 1/(1+e^x) dx. The suggested solution involves substituting t=1+e^x and then using the partial fraction method. However, the correct substitution should be t=1+e^x and dt=e^x dx, leading to the integral 1/(t(t-1)). Multiplying the top and bottom by e^-x and using the substitution u=e^-x will result in the correct answer of -(e^x+2).
cloveryeah

Homework Statement

integrate 1/(1+e^x) dx

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

firstly i let t=1+e^x
and then i come to : integrate 1/(t^2-1)
and then i put t=secx
but then the final ans is -1/2 ln | 2/e^x +1 |

it should be 1 instead of 2, i hv checked for the steps for so many times, but found nothing wrong

Physics news on Phys.org
You have done the substitution wrong.

If [itex]t= 1+ e^x[/itex] then [itex]dt= e^xdx= (t- 1)dx[/itex] so that [itex]\frac{1}{t- 1}= dx[/itex].

[tex]\int \frac{1}{1+ e^x}dx= \int \frac{1}{t} \frac{dt}{t- 1}= \int \frac{1}{t(t- 1)} dt[/tex]

NOT [itex]\int \frac{1}{t^2- 1} dt[/itex]

Perhaps you should multiply the top and bottom of the expression by ##e^{-x}## and see what happens when you substitute ##u = e^{-x}##.

HallsofIvy said:
You have done the substitution wrong.

If [itex]t= 1+ e^x[/itex] then [itex]dt= e^xdx= (t- 1)dx[/itex] so that [itex]\frac{1}{t- 1}= dx[/itex].

[tex]\int \frac{1}{1+ e^x}dx= \int \frac{1}{t} \frac{dt}{t- 1}= \int \frac{1}{t(t- 1)} dt[/tex]

NOT [itex]\int \frac{1}{t^2- 1} dt[/itex]
then you can use partial fraction i.e. create (t)- (t-1) in the numerator

Related to Integrate 1/(1+e^x) dx: Solving the Problem

1. What is the general approach to solving this integral?

The general approach to solving this integral is to use the substitution method. We substitute u = e^x and then use the fact that du/dx = e^x to rewrite the integral in terms of u. This will allow us to use the formula for the integral of 1/u, which will help us solve the problem.

2. How do we integrate 1/(1+e^x)?

To integrate 1/(1+e^x), we first use the substitution method to rewrite the integral in terms of u = e^x. This will give us the integral of 1/u, which can be solved using the formula for integrating 1/u. After solving for the integral in terms of u, we can then substitute back in e^x for u to get the final solution.

3. Is there a shortcut or trick to solving this integral?

Yes, there is a shortcut or trick to solving this integral. We can use the fact that 1/(1+e^x) can be rewritten as e^x/(1+e^x). This will allow us to use the formula for the integral of e^x/(1+e^x), which is ln(1+e^x). This shortcut can save time and effort when solving the integral.

4. Are there any special cases or exceptions when solving this integral?

There are no special cases or exceptions when solving this integral. The substitution method and the shortcut mentioned above can be used for all cases of the integral 1/(1+e^x).

5. How can we check our solution to make sure it is correct?

We can check our solution by taking the derivative of the final answer. If the derivative matches the original integrand, then our solution is correct. In this case, we can also check our solution by plugging in different values of x and seeing if the result matches the original integrand of 1/(1+e^x).