Integrals in cylindrical coordinates.

In summary, the conversation is about integrating a function over a solid given by the "slice" of an ice-cream cone in the first octant, bounded by certain planes and contained in a sphere and a cone. The discussion involved determining the correct bounds for the integral and checking the result. The final integral yielded a negative value which may be due to significant digits.
cp255
Integrate the function f(x,y,z)=−7x+2y over the solid given by the "slice" of an ice-cream cone in the first octant bounded by the planes x=0 and y=sqrt(263/137)x and contained in a sphere centered at the origin with radius 25 and a cone opening upwards from the origin with top radius 20.

I am not sure I am getting the right picture. Here are the bounds for the integral I found.

arctan(sqrt(263/137)) <= theta <= pi/2
0 <= z < 15
0 <= r <= (4/3)z

I am integrating in the order of dr dz d_theta.

The integrand I cam up with is...
-7r2 * cos(theta) + 2r2 * sin(theta) dr dz d_theta

Can anyone tell me where I went wrong. I keep getting a crazy answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
You did it well, the bounds are correct. What is the result?

ehild

I finally did the integral right and I get 3500 * sqrt(263) + 1000 * sqrt(137) - 70000 which is about -1534.83. I put the exact answer into my web HW and it is wrong. I checked the integral with my CAS calculator and this is what it gets as well. Maybe the answer is positive but I only have six attempts and I don;t want to waste them. Can someone do the integral and tell me what they get?

Try to integrate from x=0 to the section of the line in the third quadrant, that is from theta=pi/2 to theta = pi+arctan(sqrt(263/137))

ehild

I think the problem said it is only in the volume in the first octant.

I see. Then your result must be correct, but use less significant digits. I would omit the decimals.

ehild

With this web HW system I can actually enter the exact value "3500 * sqrt(263) + 1000 * sqrt(137) - 70000".

Maybe it would do... ehild

Related to Integrals in cylindrical coordinates.

1. What are cylindrical coordinates?

Cylindrical coordinates are a type of coordinate system used to describe points in three-dimensional space. They are based on the distance from the origin, the angle from a fixed reference direction in the xy-plane, and the height along the z-axis.

2. How are integrals expressed in cylindrical coordinates?

In cylindrical coordinates, integrals are expressed as ∫∫∫f(r,θ,z) r dr dθ dz, where r is the distance from the origin, θ is the angle in the xy-plane, and z is the height along the z-axis. This represents the volume under the surface f(r,θ,z) in the three-dimensional space.

3. What are the advantages of using cylindrical coordinates for integrals?

One advantage of using cylindrical coordinates for integrals is that they are well-suited for problems with cylindrical symmetry, such as calculating the volume of a cylinder or finding the center of mass of a cylindrical object. They also often simplify the integrands and make calculations easier.

4. How do I convert between cartesian and cylindrical coordinates?

To convert from cartesian coordinates (x,y,z) to cylindrical coordinates (r,θ,z), you can use the equations r = √(x² + y²), θ = arctan(y/x), and z = z. To convert from cylindrical coordinates to cartesian coordinates, use x = r cosθ, y = r sinθ, and z = z.

5. What are some common applications of integrals in cylindrical coordinates?

Integrals in cylindrical coordinates are commonly used in physics and engineering for problems involving rotational symmetry, such as calculating moments of inertia or finding the gravitational potential of a cylindrical object. They are also used in solving differential equations and in finding the volume of objects with curved surfaces.