Integrals giving me a hard time

In summary, the conversation discusses a homework problem involving an integral and a function, with the given conditions being 0 ≤ f(x) ≤ 3 when 0 < x < 1. The conversation progresses to exploring whether the inequality is true for all x values in (0,1), and a counterexample is found, leading to the conclusion that the initial theorem does not hold.
Rectifier
Gold Member
Hey!
It is the first time I post on this subform. Please forgive me if I do something wrong.

Homework Statement

[tex]F(x)=\int^x_0f(t)dt[/tex]
for
[tex]R \in t \rightarrow f(t) [/tex]

Homework Equations

Is it true that

[tex]0 \leq f(x)\leq 3[/tex] for [tex]0<x<1[/tex]

[tex]\int^x_0 tf(t)dt \leq x^2[/tex]

for all [tex]x \in (0, 1)[/tex]? "

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\int^x_0 tf(t)dt \leq x^2 \Leftrightarrow t \int^x_0 f(t)dt \leq x^2 \Leftrightarrow t F(x) \leq x^2 [/tex]
I don't know how to continue from here.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If I'm understanding this correctly, you could start by writing [itex]x^{2}[/itex] as [itex]\int^{x}_{0}2tdt[/itex] and then comparing this to the original integral. Will the inequality be valid for any value of [itex]f(x)[/itex] on [itex]x\in (0,1)[/itex]?

Likes 1 person
kontejnjer said:
If I'm understanding this correctly, you could start by writing [itex]x^{2}[/itex] as [itex]\int^{x}_{0}2tdt[/itex] and then comparing this to the original integral. Will the inequality be valid for any value of [itex]f(x)[/itex] on [itex]x\in (0,1)[/itex]?

Thank you for your reply!

[tex] \int^x_0 tf(t) dt \leq \int^x_0 2t dt [/tex]

Should I insert x=1(I can't insert x=0 since integrals must have bounds that are not equal)? What should I do with the f(t)?

EDIT:
Sorry, I just started this chapter and I am not so sure what to do.

Last edited:
You could rewrite the inequality as

[itex]\int^{x}_{0}[f(t)-2]tdt\leq0[/itex]

Now, since [itex]x \in (0,1)[/itex], the [itex]t[/itex] will clearly not be negative on the interval, meaning [itex]f(t)-2[/itex] will either oscillate between positive and negative values, or will just be negative (since their product must be negative on at least one subset of (0,1) for the whole integral to be negative or zero). Now, since [itex]f(t)[/itex] can be ANY function (as long as [itex]f(t)\in(0,3)[/itex]), you can sometimes pick it to be the simplest one, in this case a constant. Can you then choose a constant f to simultaneously satisfy the above inequality and the initial assumption?

Likes 1 person
Thank you for your reply once again!

I could pick f(t)=2 that will satisfy the inequality. But if I choose f(t)=3 it will mean that the inequality is wrong since the integral will be postitive. I guess that means that the initial inequality is wrong.

Is that right?

Rectifier said:
Hey!
It is the first time I post on this subform. Please forgive me if I do something wrong.

Homework Statement

[tex]F(x)=\int^x_0f(t)dt[/tex]
for
[tex]R \in t \rightarrow f(t) [/tex]
I don't understand what the above is supposed to mean. Can you explain in words what you're trying to convey here?
Rectifier said:

Homework Equations

Is it true that

[tex]0 \leq f(x)\leq 3[/tex] for [tex]0<x<1[/tex]

[tex]\int^x_0 tf(t)dt \leq x^2[/tex]

for all [tex]x \in (0, 1)[/tex]? "
The wording here is somewhat confusing, IMO. What part is given (or we are supposed to assume) and what part are we to show? IOW, are we supposed to verify that 0 ≤ f(x) ≤ 3 when 0 < x < 1?

And then show that the inequality is true?
Rectifier said:

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\int^x_0 tf(t)dt \leq x^2 \Leftrightarrow t \int^x_0 f(t)dt \leq x^2 \Leftrightarrow t F(x) \leq x^2 [/tex]
I don't know how to continue from here.
You can't pull t outside the integral like you have done above.

You are giv

Rectifier said:
Thank you for your reply once again!

I could pick f(t)=2 that will satisfy the inequality. But if I choose f(t)=3 it will mean that the inequality is wrong since the integral will be postitive. I guess that means that the initial inequality is wrong.

Is that right?

Yup, you found a counterexample, so the initial theorem doesn't hold, that's all there is to it.

Likes 1 person
Mark44 said:
I don't understand what the above is supposed to mean. Can you explain in words what you're trying to convey here?

The wording here is somewhat confusing, IMO. What part is given (or we are supposed to assume) and what part are we to show? IOW, are we supposed to verify that 0 ≤ f(x) ≤ 3 when 0 < x < 1?

And then show that the inequality is true?

You can't pull t outside the integral like you have done above.

You are giv

Thank you for your post.
I am having a hard time translating the problem to English from Swedish. We were supposed to verify if the inequality is true having (0 ≤ f(x) ≤ 3 when 0 < x < 1) as our starting conditions.

kontejnjer said:
Yup, you found a counterexample, so the initial theorem doesn't hold, that's all there is to it.

Thank you :)

Related to Integrals giving me a hard time

1. What is an integral and why is it giving me a hard time?

An integral is a mathematical concept used to calculate the area under a curve. It can be difficult because it involves complex calculations and understanding of mathematical concepts.

2. How do I solve an integral?

To solve an integral, you need to use various techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, and trigonometric identities. It also requires a good understanding of basic calculus principles.

3. Why do I keep getting different answers when I solve an integral?

Integrals can have multiple solutions, and the method used to solve it can affect the final answer. It is essential to check your work and use the appropriate technique for the given integral.

4. How do I know which technique to use for a specific integral?

There is no fixed rule for choosing a technique to solve an integral. It depends on the form of the integral and your familiarity with the different techniques. Practice and experience can help you determine the best approach to use.

5. Are there any tips for making integrals easier to solve?

Some tips for solving integrals include practicing regularly, understanding the fundamental principles of calculus, and using a variety of techniques. It may also be helpful to break down complex integrals into smaller, more manageable parts.