Integral where I need to classify the singularities

In summary, the integral has singularities at z = 1 but the ones the author is interested in are at z = \pm 1. The answer to the problem says that z= 1 is a simple pole but it's not clear how that can be.
Benny
Hi I'm just working on an integral where I need to classify the singularities of the integrand [tex]\frac{{\sin \left( {\pi z} \right)}}{{z^4 - 1}}[/tex].

There are singularities at [tex]z = \pm 1, \pm i[/tex] but the ones I'm interested in are at [tex]z = \pm 1[/tex].

[tex]
\frac{{\sin \left( {\pi z} \right)}}{{z^4 - 1}} = \frac{{\sin \left( {\pi z} \right)}}{{\left( {z - 1} \right)\left( {z + 1} \right)\left( {z^2 + 1} \right)}}
[/tex]

My immediate thought was that z = 1 is a simple pole but if it is I should be able to write [tex]\frac{{\sin \left( {\pi z} \right)}}{{z^4 - 1}} = \frac{{h\left( z \right)}}{{\left( {z - 1} \right)}}[/tex] where h is analytic in a neighbourhood of z = 1 and non-zero at z = 1 but this doesn't seem to be the case here. The answer I have seems to be saying that z = 1 is a simple pole but at the moment I can't see how it can be.

Any input would be great thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
So the problem is that [itex]sin \pi z[/itex] has a zero at z= 1. How could you write [itex]sin \pi z[/itex] as a Taylor's series around z= 1?

How did you figure out what the singularities are?

I found the singularities by setting z^4 - 1 = 0.

The first term in the series for the sin(pi*z), centred at 1, is zero but the second one (which is something multiplied by (z-1)) isn't. So the singularity should be removable but then it isn't a simple pole. It makes no difference to the integral that I was calculating but it's just something that's puzzling me.

Yes, the singularity at z= 1 is removable, not a pole. What made you think it was a pole?

The answer said it was a pole.:redface: I guess in future I should use my judgement when looking at the answers.

Thanks for the help.

Related to Integral where I need to classify the singularities

1. What is a singularity in the context of integrals?

A singularity in the context of integrals is a point in the domain of the function being integrated where the function is undefined or discontinuous. This can occur at points where the denominator of the integrand is equal to zero or at points where the function has a vertical asymptote.

2. How are singularities classified in integrals?

Singularities in integrals are classified as either removable or non-removable. A removable singularity is one that can be removed by simply redefining the value of the function at that point. A non-removable singularity is one that cannot be removed and leads to a divergence in the integral.

3. What is the difference between a pole and a branch point?

A pole is a type of non-removable singularity where the function approaches infinity as the point is approached. A branch point is a type of non-removable singularity where the function has multiple values depending on the path of integration.

4. How do singularities affect the convergence of an integral?

Singularities can have a significant impact on the convergence of an integral. In general, integrals with removable singularities will still converge, while integrals with non-removable singularities may not converge. The type and location of the singularity can also affect the rate of convergence.

5. How can I identify and classify singularities in an integral?

To identify and classify singularities in an integral, you can start by looking for points in the domain where the function is undefined or discontinuous. Then, you can analyze the behavior of the function near those points to determine if they are removable or non-removable singularities. Additionally, you can use mathematical techniques such as finding the roots of the denominator or using complex analysis to identify branch points.