Integral proof and then use the proof to solve a 2nd integral

In summary, the conversation is discussing the use of substitution in solving a mathematical problem. The participants mention different substitutions and corrections to the original equation. The conversation ends with a hint that the solution to the problem can be found by solving for the variable I in the equation I=b-I.
Mustard
Member warned that some effort must be shown.
Homework Statement
I'm not sure how to go about it tbh :/
Relevant Equations
On the pic
20201212_005325.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you have any ideas yourself?

PeroK said:
Do you have any ideas yourself?
Well in the the bottom half I would assume you would have to use u-subsitution but I don't believe the question is asking me to solve the bottom until I prove the top is = b/2?

Mustard said:
Well in the the bottom half I would assume you would have to use u-subsitution but I don't believe the question is asking me to solve the bottom until I prove the top is = b/2?
Have you tried the obvious substitution?

PeroK said:
Have you tried the obvious substitution?
Do you mean substituting b for x?

• Skeptical
Likes PeroK
Mustard said:
Do you mean substituting b for x?
I thought the substitution ##u = b - x## was the first thing you should consider. Especially if you are stuck.

Likes Delta2
PeroK said:
I thought the substitution ##u = b - x## was the first thing you should consider. Especially if you are stuck.
Oh , I'm stuck again. Am I doing it right si far ? :/ I'm sorry it's just confusing to me.

Attachments

• 16077677046055021006553674498180.jpg
    16077677046055021006553674498180.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 101
Mustard said:
Oh , I'm stuck again. Am I doing it right si far ? :/ I'm sorry it's just confusing to me.
Yes. You need to tidy that up and, strictly speaking, you are missing an equals sign.

Mustard said:
You have a few issues to correct.
Mustard Integration.PNG

If ##u=b-x##, then ##x=b-u## not ##u-b##.

The denominator is a sum, ##f(x)+f(b-x)##, not a difference.

The integration limits for ##u## are different than for ##x##.

After making these corrections, there will be more work to do to complete your task.

Likes Delta2
After you do the necessary corrections outlined in post #9 , you ll have the integral $$\int_b^0-\frac{f(b-u)}{f(b-u)+f(u)}du$$, which is the same as $$\int_0^b \frac{f(b-u)}{f(b-u)+f(u)}du$$. Now you ll have to do a little algebraic trick (adding and subtracting from the numerator the same quantity f(u) )and then by algebraic simplifications you ll get a significant result, namely that the initial integral (the integral involving x, let's call it I) is such that $$I=b-I$$. And this is pretty much the end of it, solving the last equation for I.

Likes SammyS
Looks to me an exercise in My First Math Book, Chapter 1, Symbols and Functions.

Ex 15: If φ##(f,b) =## ψ##(b)## what is φ##(f, 3)##?

if you can calculate ψ(3) what can you say about φ##(f,3) ## ?

Related to Integral proof and then use the proof to solve a 2nd integral

1. What is an integral proof?

An integral proof is a mathematical method used to prove the validity of a statement or equation by using the fundamental theorem of calculus. It involves finding the antiderivative of a function and evaluating it at two points to calculate the area under the curve.

2. How is an integral proof used in solving a 2nd integral?

An integral proof is used to establish the relationship between the function in the original integral and its antiderivative. This relationship is then used to simplify the 2nd integral and solve it using the fundamental theorem of calculus.

3. What are the steps involved in an integral proof?

The steps involved in an integral proof include finding the antiderivative of the function, setting up the limits of integration, evaluating the antiderivative at the limits, and subtracting the results to find the area under the curve.

4. Can an integral proof be used to solve any type of integral?

Yes, an integral proof can be used to solve any type of integral as long as the function has an antiderivative that can be evaluated at the given limits of integration.

5. What are the benefits of using an integral proof to solve a 2nd integral?

Using an integral proof can simplify the process of solving a 2nd integral and provide a more efficient and accurate solution. It also helps to establish the relationship between the original function and its antiderivative, allowing for a deeper understanding of the concept.