Integral of statistical mechanics

In summary, the integral given is \int ^{\infty}_0 \frac{x^3}{e^x+1} dx and the Bose and Fermi forms are related by 1/(e^x+1)-1/(e^x-1)=2/(e^(2x)-1). The Fermi form can be used to find the Bose form.
alejandrito29
Hello, i need solve de following integral

[tex] \int ^{\infty}_0 \frac{x^3}{e^x+1} dx [/tex]

i tried with the fermi function but the factor [tex]e^x[/tex] is different to [tex]e^{x-\eta}[/tex], and with the gamma function but the factor [tex]e^x+1[/tex] is different to [tex]e^x-1[/tex].

Help please

Physics news on Phys.org
alejandrito29 said:
Hello, i need solve de following integral

[tex] \int ^{\infty}_0 \frac{x^3}{e^x+1} dx [/tex]

i tried with the fermi function but the factor [tex]e^x[/tex] is different to [tex]e^{x-\eta}[/tex], and with the gamma function but the factor [tex]e^x+1[/tex] is different to [tex]e^x-1[/tex].

Help please

The Bose and Fermi forms are related by 1/(e^x+1)-1/(e^x-1)=2/(e^(2x)-1). I know you know the Fermi form. You should be able to find the Bose form from there.

Related to Integral of statistical mechanics

1. What is the integral of statistical mechanics?

The integral of statistical mechanics is a mathematical concept used to calculate the probability of a system being in a particular state. It is derived from the laws of thermodynamics and the principles of statistical mechanics.

2. How is the integral of statistical mechanics related to entropy?

The integral of statistical mechanics is closely related to entropy, as it is used to calculate the entropy of a system. Entropy is a measure of the disorder or randomness of a system, and the integral of statistical mechanics helps us understand the probability of a system being in a particular state, which is related to its entropy.

3. Can the integral of statistical mechanics be used for all types of systems?

Yes, the integral of statistical mechanics can be used for all types of systems, including classical and quantum systems. However, the mathematical equations used may differ depending on the type of system being studied.

4. What are the applications of the integral of statistical mechanics?

The integral of statistical mechanics has many applications in physics, chemistry, and other fields. It is used to calculate the thermodynamic properties of a system, such as the partition function, free energy, and heat capacity. It is also used in quantum mechanics to calculate the probability of a particle being in a certain energy state.

5. How is the integral of statistical mechanics calculated?

The integral of statistical mechanics is calculated using mathematical equations that take into account the number of possible states of a system, the energy levels of those states, and the temperature of the system. It involves integrating over all possible states to determine the probability of the system being in a particular state.