Integral of (secx)^3 with eulers formula

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of integrating (secx)^3 using Euler's formula and rational functions of cos and sin, as well as the use of integration by parts. It is also mentioned that the real part of arctan(e^(ix)) is pi/4 for real x. The conversation ends with an explanation on how to take the arctan(e^(ix)) and make it into the real part.
cragar
is it possible to integrate (secx)^3 with eulers formula
could we use that cosx = (e^(ix) + e^(-ix)) /(2)
then take it to the -3 power and multiply it out and try to integrate sec(x)^3 this way.
this is not a homework ?

Physics news on Phys.org
This will only work well if you integrate from zero to 2 pi. But in that case this particular integral will be divergent.

A rational function of cos and sin integrated from zero to 2 pi amounts to a contour integral of a rational function over the unit circle in the complex plane, so you can directly apply the residue theorem.

can u give me an idea on how to start to integrate this.

It's pretty much just algebra, isn't it?

[tex]sec(x)= \frac{2}{e^x+ e^{-x}}[/tex]
so
[tex]sec^3(x)= \frac{8}{(e^x+ e^{-x})^3}[/tex]
You can multiply both numerator and denominator by e3x to get
[tex]\frac{8e^{3x}}{(e^x(e^x+ e^{-x}))^3}= \frac{8e^{3x}}{(e^{2x}+ 1)^3}[/tex]
and your integral becomes
[tex]\int\frac{8e^{3x}dx}{(e^2x+ 1)^3}[/tex]

If you let u= ex, du= exdx and we have
[tex]\int\frac{8u^2 du}{(u^2+ 1)^3}[/tex]
which can be done in terms of partial fractions.

thanks for doing this it must have taken you a long time ,
But when say multiply both top and bottom by e^(3x)
do you mean e^(3ix) or e(3x)

okay i got it now thanks

Yes it is with the imaginary exponentials. Simply replace everything with i3x and it should still follow

Eh, seems kind of ugly. This integral has a very natural integration by parts solution.

i wouldn't say very natural my whole goal was to find an easier way then by parts , but i think parts is easier
but in the case of like (e^x)sinx dx this is easier with eulers formula then by parts.

Well I meant it was natural in the sense that sec^2(x) is the derivative of tan(x) and sec(x) differentiated gives sec(x)tan(x) and that really lends itself to a clean solution through integrating by parts.

As for (e^x)sinx, I would agree.

yes i agree. but i was hoping eulers formula would yield an easier soultion but appartenlty not.

Sorry about dropping the "i" !

its ok i got it now .

how do i take the arctan(e^(ix)) how do i make it into the real part.

cragar said:
how do i take the arctan(e^(ix)) how do i make it into the real part.

The real part of arctan[exp(ix)] is pi/4 for real x.

if f(z) is an analytic function such that for real z we have that f(z) is real, then:

f*(z) = f(z*)

The real part of f(z) is thus given by:

Re[f(z)] = [f(z) + f*(z)]/2 = [f(z) + f(z*)]/2

If we put z = exp(i x) for real x, then we have z* = 1/z, therefore:

Re[arctan(z)] = 1/2 [arctan(z) + arctan(1/z)] = 1/2 pi/2 = pi/4

The fact that

arctan(z) + arctan(1/z) = pi/2

for all z follows directly from the fact that for real z the above identity is valid using analytic continuation.

i see thanks

Related to Integral of (secx)^3 with eulers formula

1. What is the integral of (secx)^3 with Euler's formula?

The integral of (secx)^3 with Euler's formula is a mathematical expression that represents the area under the curve of the function (secx)^3. It can be calculated using the Euler's formula, which states that e^(ix) = cosx + isinx. By using this formula, the integral can be solved and expressed in terms of sine and cosine functions.

2. Why is Euler's formula used in finding the integral of (secx)^3?

Euler's formula is used because it simplifies the integration process by converting the trigonometric function (secx)^3 into a combination of exponential and trigonometric functions. This makes the integration easier and more manageable.

3. Can the integral of (secx)^3 with Euler's formula be solved using other methods?

Yes, there are other methods for solving the integral of (secx)^3, such as integration by parts or substitution. However, using Euler's formula is often the most efficient and straightforward method.

4. What are the steps for calculating the integral of (secx)^3 with Euler's formula?

The steps for calculating the integral of (secx)^3 with Euler's formula are as follows:

1. Apply Euler's formula to convert (secx)^3 into a combination of exponential and trigonometric functions.
  2. Use algebraic manipulation to simplify the expression.
  3. Apply the power rule for integration to solve the integral.
  4. Substitute back the original variable to get the final answer.

5. Where is the integral of (secx)^3 with Euler's formula used in real life?

The integral of (secx)^3 with Euler's formula has various applications in physics, engineering, and other fields of science. It is used in calculating the power output of alternating current (AC) circuits, determining the electric field of a charged ring, and solving differential equations in quantum mechanics, to name a few examples.