Integral of plane wave equation

In summary, the conversation is discussing the integral for the equation (e^{}ikx)/x, where k is a constant and x is a variable. The answer can be found under "Exponential integral of imaginary argument" on Wikipedia. The conversation also mentions some confusion and clarification about the integral and its evaluation.
redtree
What is the integral for the following equation

(e[tex]^{}ikx[/tex])/x

Physics news on Phys.org
Please formulate carefully. Integral over k or x? Between what limits?

k is a constant. x a variable.

I figured out the answer. It's the imaginary argument of the exponential integral.

Glad you figured it out, I'm still guessing at what you mean :smile:
For I don't see an integral and if I add one, it doesn't evaluate to k x.

Sorry Chip, but instead of writing the sign for integral I simply stated that I was looking for the integral. My assumption was that you'd understand what that implied, i.e.,

[tex]\int[/tex](e[tex]^{}ikx[/tex])/x dx

where k is a constant.

The answer is can be found at the following:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exponential_integral

under the subheading "Exponential integral of imaginary argument"

Best :cool:

Related to Integral of plane wave equation

What is the plane wave equation?

The plane wave equation is a mathematical representation of a type of wave that propagates in a specific direction without changing its shape or amplitude. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to describe electromagnetic and acoustic waves.

What is the integral of the plane wave equation?

The integral of the plane wave equation is the mathematical operation of finding the area under the curve of the plane wave function over a specified range. It is used to calculate the total energy of a wave or to determine the displacement of a particle affected by the wave.

How is the integral of the plane wave equation calculated?

The integral of the plane wave equation is calculated using the fundamental theorem of calculus, which states that the integral of a function can be found by evaluating the antiderivative of that function at the upper and lower limits of the integral. In the case of the plane wave equation, the antiderivative is simply the original function itself.

What are some applications of the integral of the plane wave equation?

The integral of the plane wave equation has many applications in physics and engineering. It is used to calculate the energy of electromagnetic and acoustic waves, to analyze the behavior of particles in a wave, and to solve various differential equations that describe wave phenomena.

What are the limitations of using the integral of the plane wave equation?

One limitation of using the integral of the plane wave equation is that it assumes the wave is propagating in a single direction. In reality, waves may have multiple components and may interact with each other, making the integral more complex. Additionally, the plane wave equation is a simplified model and may not accurately describe all types of waves.