Integral of greatest integer function and its graph

In summary, the greatest integer function, also known as the ceiling function, rounds any real number up to the nearest integer. Its integral is a piecewise function with jumps at every integer value of x, and the graph resembles a staircase. The greatest integer function and its integral are related by the fundamental theorem of calculus, and the integral has various real-world applications in economics, physics, and computer science.
tensaiyan
Homework Statement
Calculus problem.

How to calculate the integral of greatest function y=[1/x] ? And can someone please show me how to draw the graph of that function . Upper limit= 1,lower limit= 1/n (where n is natural number)

Please give me some hints or explanations for this kind of integral.
Relevant Equations
I already tried to answer the question but don’t know whether the answer is right or not. I attach some of my steps done below.

Physics news on Phys.org
I won't try to read a sideways picture, but here's the picture you asked for:
jumps.jpg

showing jumps at ##\frac 1 2,~ \frac 1 3,~ \frac 1 4## etc. Ignore the glitches in the vertical lines. You just need to calculate the area under the graph from ##\frac 1 n## to ##1##.

Likes tensaiyan
LCKurtz said:
I won't try to read a sideways picture, but here's the picture you asked for:
View attachment 246783
showing jumps at ##\frac 1 2,~ \frac 1 3,~ \frac 1 4## etc. Ignore the glitches in the vertical lines. You just need to calculate the area under the graph from ##\frac 1 n## to ##1##.
Thanks,it was very really helpful!

Related to Integral of greatest integer function and its graph

1. What is the integral of the greatest integer function?

The integral of the greatest integer function is a piecewise function that represents the area under the curve of the greatest integer function. It is defined as the sum of the areas of the rectangles formed by the function and the x-axis.

2. How is the integral of the greatest integer function calculated?

The integral of the greatest integer function can be calculated by breaking the function into smaller intervals and finding the area of each interval. The sum of these areas gives the total value of the integral.

3. What is the domain of the integral of the greatest integer function?

The domain of the integral of the greatest integer function is the set of all real numbers.

4. How does the graph of the integral of the greatest integer function look like?

The graph of the integral of the greatest integer function is a step function, with each step representing the area under the curve of the greatest integer function in a specific interval. The graph is discontinuous and has a constant value between the steps.

5. What are the applications of the integral of the greatest integer function?

The integral of the greatest integer function has applications in various fields such as economics, physics, and computer science. It is used to calculate the total value of a discrete quantity, to find the average value of a function, and to solve optimization problems.