Integral of Exp(I x) and the Dirac Delta

In summary, the conversation is discussing the orthogonality of momentum eigenstates for a free particle. The integral of the exponential function with the difference of momentum values in the exponent is shown to equal the Dirac delta function. The conversation raises questions about how this integral can equal zero when the momentum values differ and why this is important in understanding the Dirac delta function. The conversation also mentions the use of complex analysis and suggests writing down the integral in a specific form to better understand its meaning.
hbweb500
I am trying to see why exactly the momentum eignenstates for a free particle are orthogonal. Simply enough, one gets:

[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{i (k-k_0) x} dx = \delta(k-k0)[/tex]

I can see why, if k=k0, this integral goes to zero. But if they differ, I don't see why it goes to zero. You have:

[tex] \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{i(k-k0)x} dx = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}( \cos [(k-k0)x] + i \sin [(k-k0)x]) dx [/tex]

Now the sine vanishes by symmetry, but what about Cos[x]? I would imagine this integral diverges, but it must go to zero for these to be orthogonal...

I am recalling a bit from complex analysis that might be useful, but for now I am in the dark. Why is this integral the dirac delta function.

Physics news on Phys.org
Probably you have to write down what it means. Something like this:
[tex]
\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} \int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} e^{i(k-k_0)x} g(k)\,dk\,dx = \begin{cases}
g(k_0)\qquad\text{if }k=k_0
\\
0\qquad\text{if }k\ne k_0
\end{cases}
[/tex]
for good enough function [itex]g[/itex]

Related to Integral of Exp(I x) and the Dirac Delta

What is the integral of exp(i x)?

The integral of exp(i x) is equal to (1/i) * exp(i x), or i * exp(i x). This is because the derivative of exp(i x) is itself, so when we integrate, we are essentially "undoing" the derivative operation.

What is the Dirac Delta function?

The Dirac Delta function, also known as the unit impulse function, is a mathematical function that is defined to be zero everywhere except at the point where its argument is zero. At that point, it is defined to be infinite in such a way that its total integral is equal to one. It is often used to model point sources or idealized point particles in physics and engineering.

What is the relationship between the integral of exp(i x) and the Dirac Delta function?

The integral of exp(i x) is directly related to the Dirac Delta function. Specifically, the integral of exp(i x) over a certain interval is equal to the value of the Dirac Delta function at that interval. This can be seen as the Dirac Delta function acts as a "filter" for the integral of exp(i x), only allowing the value of the integral at specific points to "pass through."

How is the integral of exp(i x) used in scientific research?

The integral of exp(i x) is commonly used in mathematical and scientific research, particularly in fields such as physics and engineering. It is used to model oscillatory or periodic phenomena, and it has applications in fields such as signal processing, quantum mechanics, and electromagnetism.

What are some real-world examples of the use of the integral of exp(i x) and the Dirac Delta function?

One example of the use of the integral of exp(i x) is in Fourier analysis, where it is used to represent a complex signal as a sum of simpler, periodic functions. The Dirac Delta function is also commonly used in signal processing to represent a signal's amplitude at a specific point in time. It is also used in physics to model point particles and in electrical engineering to model idealized point sources in circuits.