Integral of E dot dA - conceptual

In summary, the electric flux through a surface is given by the dot product of the electric field vector and the area vector perpendicular to the surface.
quantum13

Homework Statement

A = 2i + 3j
E = 4i

determine the integral of E dot dA

Homework Equations

Integral calculus, vectors

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't understand why one could do this. The integral is of E and dA, not E and A. How can I use A to determine dA? Do I take its derivative? Then I would only get dA = 0.Also: This is part of an electric flux problem. Is this a basic of multivariate calculus? I'm indecisive on whether or not I should get a MV calc textbook - I don't have one yet, but I don't want basic questions like this holding me back either. I'm studying from Halliday's Fundamentals of Physics which apparently isn't a calculus heavy text.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
the question isn't very celar, but here's my 2 cents...

E is the electric field vector

Generally A represent some surface or area A. dA is vector in the direction normal to surface. If n is a unit vector in that direction, dA is a scalar infintesimal area, then

[tex] \texbf{dA} = \textbf{n}dA [/tex]
with
[tex] A = \int dA [/tex]

For a vector field E, the flux is given by
[tex] \Phi = \int \textbf{E} \bullet \textbf{dA} [/tex]

physically the dot product means if the vector is parallel to the surface its contribution is zero, or maximum when it is perpindiuclar to the surface (passing through it). The integral just sums all the contributions across the whole surface.

so is there anymore to make the question clearer?
what area do you integrate over?
A is given as a vector - does this represent a normal to a plane or something?

quantum13 said:

Homework Statement

A = 2i + 3j
E = 4i

determine the integral of E dot dA

Homework Equations

Integral calculus, vectors

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't understand why one could do this. The integral is of E and dA, not E and A. How can I use A to determine dA? Do I take its derivative? Then I would only get dA = 0.

Also: This is part of an electric flux problem. Is this a basic of multivariate calculus? I'm indecisive on whether or not I should get a MV calc textbook - I don't have one yet, but I don't want basic questions like this holding me back either. I'm studying from Halliday's Fundamentals of Physics which apparently isn't a calculus heavy text.
You are right. The problem as stated makes no sense. I suggest you go back and reread the problem. It may be that you have overlooked something. "dA" should be a "vector differential of area" of some surface, not just a vector. Are you not given a surface to integrate over?

I'm sorry. dA is in fact an area vector perpendicular to a surface. However, the surface is definitely not stated. The answer is given as 8 (flux units). Does it make any mathematical sense to do this?

[tex] \Phi = \int \vec{E} \cdot \vec{dA} [/tex]

[tex]
\Phi = \vec{E} \cdot \int \vec{dA}
[/tex]

[tex]
\Phi = \vec{E} \cdot \vec{A}
[/tex]Then
Phi = (4i) dot (2i + 3j)
= 8

No clue if this makes any sense or not but...?

Last edited:

Related to Integral of E dot dA - conceptual

What is the concept of an integral of E dot dA?

The integral of E dot dA refers to the mathematical calculation of the electric flux passing through a surface. It represents the total amount of electric field passing through a given area or surface.

What is the significance of the integral of E dot dA in physics?

The integral of E dot dA is an important concept in electromagnetism and is used to calculate the electric field intensity at a point due to a distribution of charges. It is also used to determine the total electric charge enclosed within a closed surface.

What is the mathematical formula for calculating the integral of E dot dA?

The formula for calculating the integral of E dot dA is ∫E dot dA = Q_enclosed/ε_0, where Q_enclosed is the total enclosed electric charge and ε_0 is the permittivity of free space.

How is the integral of E dot dA related to Gauss's law?

The integral of E dot dA is the mathematical representation of Gauss's law, which states that the electric flux through a closed surface is directly proportional to the total enclosed electric charge. This allows us to use the integral of E dot dA to calculate the electric field intensity due to a distribution of charges.

What are some real-life applications of the integral of E dot dA?

The integral of E dot dA is used in various real-life applications, such as calculating the electric field intensity and potential within a capacitor, determining the net electric flux through a closed surface due to a point charge, and analyzing the behavior of electric fields in different types of materials.