Integral of a logarithm using residues

In summary, the conversation discusses finding an integral using the residue theorem and using a branch cut. The attempted solution involves using a key-hole contour and solving for specific cases before attempting the general case.
Dixanadu

Homework Statement

Hey everyone,

So here's the problem, nice and simple. I have to find the following integral:
[itex]\int_{0}^{\infty} \frac{x^{p}ln(x)}{x^{2}+1}dx, 0<p<1[/itex]

Homework Equations

The only thing relevant is the residue theorem:
[itex]\oint_{c}f(z)=2\pi i \times[/itex] sum of residues enclosed

The Attempt at a Solution

So I've gone through it using a branch cut so that [itex]0<\theta<2\pi[/itex]. I then replaced x with [itex]z=re^{i(\theta + 2in\pi)}[/itex], setting n = 0 when integrating from 0 to infinity for Im(z)>0, then setting n = 1 when integrating from infinity back to 0 when Im(z)<0. Then I get this:

[itex]I=-\pi^{2}/2 \frac{cos(\pi p/2)}{sin(\pi p)e^{i\pi p}}[/itex]

Of course I can simplify it but its definitely wrong cos its negative, and there is a dependence on a complex exponential...so what have I done wrong? Am I even supposed to be using a branch cut or is it enough to do this with a contour indented at the singularity z = i in the upper half of the complex plane...? I don't see how that would work though, I am pretty sure branch cut is the way to go, but I get this...

Physics news on Phys.org
Dixanadu said:

Homework Statement

Hey everyone,

So here's the problem, nice and simple. I have to find the following integral:
[itex]\int_{0}^{\infty} \frac{x^{p}ln(x)}{x^{2}+1}dx, 0<p<1[/itex]

Homework Equations

The only thing relevant is the residue theorem:
[itex]\oint_{c}f(z)=2\pi i \times[/itex] sum of residues enclosed

The Attempt at a Solution

So I've gone through it using a branch cut so that [itex]0<\theta<2\pi[/itex]. I then replaced x with [itex]z=re^{i(\theta + 2in\pi)}[/itex], setting n = 0 when integrating from 0 to infinity for Im(z)>0, then setting n = 1 when integrating from infinity back to 0 when Im(z)<0. Then I get this:

[itex]I=-\pi^{2}/2 \frac{cos(\pi p/2)}{sin(\pi p)e^{i\pi p}}[/itex]

Of course I can simplify it but its definitely wrong cos its negative, and there is a dependence on a complex exponential...so what have I done wrong? Am I even supposed to be using a branch cut or is it enough to do this with a contour indented at the singularity z = i in the upper half of the complex plane...? I don't see how that would work though, I am pretty sure branch cut is the way to go, but I get this...

Suppose we did some work and we ended up with the integral:

[tex]\int_0^{\infty} \frac{r^p}{1+r^2} dr,\quad 0<p<1[/tex]

Can you compute that by contour integration over a key-hole contour with the key-slot along the negative real axis?

First though, solve:

[tex]\int_0^{\infty} \frac{\sqrt{r}}{1+r^2} dr[/tex]

then:

[tex]\int_0^{\infty} \frac{r^{1/3}}{1+r^2} dr[/tex]

then try to solve it for the general case, then we can go back and set up the original problem.

Last edited:

Related to Integral of a logarithm using residues

1. What is the definition of the integral of a logarithm using residues?

The integral of a logarithm using residues is a mathematical technique used to evaluate integrals that involve logarithmic functions by using the residues (or singularities) of the function. It is a powerful tool in complex analysis and allows for the evaluation of certain integrals that cannot be solved using traditional methods.

2. How do you find the residues of a logarithmic function?

The residues of a logarithmic function can be found by first identifying the singularities (or poles) of the function. These are the points where the function is undefined or has a vertical asymptote. Then, using the Cauchy Residue Theorem, the residue can be calculated by taking the limit of the function as it approaches the singularity.

3. Can all integrals involving logarithmic functions be solved using the residue method?

No, not all integrals involving logarithmic functions can be solved using the residue method. This technique is most effective for integrals with simple poles (or first-order singularities) and may not work for higher-order poles or other types of singularities such as essential singularities.

4. What are the advantages of using the residue method to evaluate integrals of logarithmic functions?

One advantage of using the residue method is that it can be used to evaluate integrals that would otherwise be difficult or impossible to solve using traditional methods. It also provides a systematic approach to solving these types of integrals and can be generalized to other types of functions.

5. Are there any practical applications of the integral of a logarithm using residues?

Yes, the integral of a logarithm using residues has practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. It can be used to solve problems involving complex electric circuits, fluid dynamics, and financial models. It is also useful in evaluating certain types of series and calculating certain types of probabilities.