Integral of a concave function

In summary, we are given a continuous and non-negative function f:[0,2]->[0,∞) such that for any x,y in [0,2] and any 0<λ<1, f(λx+(1-λ)y)>=λf(x)+(1-λ)f(y). The goal is to prove that the integral of f from 0 to 2 is greater than or equal to 1, given that f(1)=1. To prove this, we consider the function g(x)={x if x is in [0,1], 2-x if x is in [1,2]}. If for some x in [0,2], g(x)>f(x
talolard

Homework Statement

Let [tex] f:[0,2]\rightarrow[0,\infty) [/tex] be continuous and non negative. Assume thaqt for any [tex] x,y\in[0,2] [/tex] and [tex] 0<\lambda<1 f(\lambda x+(1-\lambda)y)\geq\lambda f(x)+(1-\lambda)f(y) [/tex]. Given that f(1)=1 prove

[tex] \int_{0}^{2}f(x)dx\geq1 [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I've sat for hours. I have zero inspiration. I need a gentle shove in the right direction please.

Physics news on Phys.org
Consider the function g(x)=x for x in [0,1] and g(x)=2-x for x in [1,2]. Can you show f(x)>=g(x)?

I think i got it.
Define [tex] g(x):\mathbb{R}\rightarrow\mathbb{R} [/tex] . Such that [tex] g(x)=\begin{cases}
x & 0\leq x\leq1\\
2-x & 1<x<2\end{cases} [/tex].

Assume that for some [tex] x\in[0,2] g(x)>f(x) [/tex] . Then [tex] g(x)=x>f(x)=f(x1+\left(1-x\right)y)\geq xf(1)+\left(1-x\right)f(y)=g(x) [/tex] +Something positive (Not precise here with the domain).

Then [tex] g(x)\geq g(x)+\epsilon [/tex] a contradiction. Thus we have that for all [tex] x\in[0,2] f(x)\geq g(x) [/tex]

Then [tex] \int_{0}^{2}f(x)\geq\int_{0}^{2}f(x)=\int_{0}^{1}x+\int_{1}^{2}2-x=\frac{1}{2}+\left|2x-\frac{x^{2}}{2}\right|_{1}^{2}=\frac{1}{2}+4-2-2+\frac{1}{2}=1 [/tex] Q.E.D.

I can't really figure out what your contradiction is all about. Did you draw a graph of g(x)? You know f(0)>=0 and f(1)=1. If you connect (0,f(0)) and (1,f(1)) with a line then your condition says the graph of f is above or on that line, right? Do you see how that proves f(x)>=g(x) on [0,1]? Can you translate the picture into a proof?

Related to Integral of a concave function

What is the definition of the integral of a concave function?

The integral of a concave function is the measure of the area under the curve of the function, between two given points. It represents the accumulation of the values of the function over the interval.

How is the integral of a concave function different from the integral of a convex function?

In the integral of a concave function, the area under the curve is calculated from the top of the curve down to the x-axis. In the integral of a convex function, the area is calculated from the x-axis up to the curve. Additionally, the integral of a concave function is always decreasing, while the integral of a convex function is always increasing.

What are the applications of the integral of a concave function?

The integral of a concave function has several applications in mathematics, physics, and economics. It is used to calculate the total distance traveled or the total work done when the rate of change is concave. In economics, it is used to determine the maximum profit or the minimum cost of production for a given function. It is also used to find the average value of a function over an interval.

How do you calculate the integral of a concave function?

The integral of a concave function can be calculated using various methods, such as the trapezoidal rule, Simpson's rule, or numerical integration techniques. For simpler functions, it can also be calculated using anti-derivatives and the fundamental theorem of calculus.

What is the relationship between the derivative and the integral of a concave function?

The derivative of a concave function represents the rate of change of the function at a specific point, while the integral represents the accumulation of the values of the function over an interval. The derivative of a concave function is always decreasing, while the integral is always increasing. Additionally, the derivative and integral of a concave function are inverse operations of each other, following the fundamental theorem of calculus.