Integral of 1/(x^3 + bx - c) dx

In summary, the integral of 1/(x^3 + bx - c) with respect to x will not have a simple form and will depend on the factors of the polynomial. If there are three linear factors, the integral can be written as a combination of three logarithms. If there is one linear factor and one irreducible quadratic, the integral can be written as a combination of a logarithm and an arctangent. It is not possible to write a general formula for this integral due to the many possible routes depending on the coefficients. It may be possible to handle the term m(x) separately after completing the integration.
yuiop
What is the integral of 1/(x^3 + bx - c) with respect to x?

This is part of a larger problem I am working on, but finding the integral has proved a sticking point. I have simplified it as much as possible.

P.S. The larger problem is finding J(r) in this PF post https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=4397770&postcount=5

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It will not be possible to get a simple form for that integral. To integrate "1 over a polynomial" you have to factor the polynomial. Here, you have a cubic so, theoretically, in terms of real numbers, either of two things can happen: you can factor it into 3 linear factors or you can factor it into one linear factor and one "irreducible" quadratic. If there are three linear factors, you can use "partial fractions" to write the integrand as the sum of three fractions with linear denominator so the integral is a combination of three logarithms. If there is on linear factor and one irreducible quadratic you can use "partial fractions" to write the integrand as the sum of one fraction with a linear denominator and one fraction with a linear numerator and quadratic denominator. The first integral is, of course, a logrithm. Since the quadratic denominator in the second fraction is irreducible, you can, by "completing the square", write the denominator in the form [itex](x- a)^2+ b[/itex]. Making the change of variable, u= x- a, you can then write the fraction as "(cu+d)/(u^2+ b)= cu/(u^2+ d)+ b/(u^2+ d). The first of those can be integrated by letting v= u^2+ d and the second as an arctangent.

However, there are simply too many choices and too many possible "routes" depending on the coefficients to be able to write a general formula.

HallsofIvy said:
Since the quadratic denominator in the second fraction is irreducible, you can, by "completing the square", write the denominator in the form [itex](x- a)^2+ b[/itex].
It seams that in this case, I have an irreducible cubic so perhaps I need to 'complete the cube' but if I try that I end up with additional factors of x and x^2 outside the cube.

Is there another approach to this problem? In the linked post the integral has a term m(x) which is of course a function of x as defined in that post. Is it possible to carry out the integral as if m(x) was simply a constant (m) and then deal with m(x) after the integration has been carried out? It seams easy enough to obtain the integral of m(x) dx.

Related to Integral of 1/(x^3 + bx - c) dx

What is the integral of 1/(x^3 + bx - c) dx?

The integral of 1/(x^3 + bx - c) dx is equal to (1/2b)ln((x^2 + bx + c)/(x^2 + bx - c)) + C, where C is the constant of integration.

How do you solve the integral of 1/(x^3 + bx - c) dx?

To solve the integral of 1/(x^3 + bx - c) dx, you can use the substitution method or partial fractions method. The substitution method involves substituting u = x^2 + bx - c, while the partial fractions method involves breaking down the integrand into simpler fractions.

What are the limits of integration for the integral of 1/(x^3 + bx - c) dx?

The limits of integration for the integral of 1/(x^3 + bx - c) dx depend on the specific problem or scenario. The limits can be any real numbers that fall within the domain of the function.

What is the significance of the integral of 1/(x^3 + bx - c) dx?

The integral of 1/(x^3 + bx - c) dx has various applications in physics and engineering, such as in solving problems involving forces, work, and energy. It is also commonly used in mathematical models and calculations.

What are the common mistakes made when solving the integral of 1/(x^3 + bx - c) dx?

Some common mistakes when solving the integral of 1/(x^3 + bx - c) dx include forgetting to add the constant of integration, making errors in algebraic simplifications, and forgetting to apply the chain rule when using the substitution method.