Integral involving population density

In summary, the conversation was about a problem involving population density and finding the number of people living between two arbitrary points from the centre of a town. The solution involved using the integral P(a,b)=2\pi\int^{b}_{a}rf(r)dr and partitioning the area into small rings. The final solution was found by treating the rings as rectangles and taking the limit as the thickness of each ring approaches 0.
Andrusko

Homework Statement

Hey all I've got a problem to do with population density. It asks for you to show the number of people living between arbitrary points a and b from the centre of the town is equal to:

[tex]P(a,b)=2\pi\int^{b}_{a}rf(r)dr[/tex]

Where f(r) is the population density. Note that a is not the centre of the town, but a distance out from it, with a < b.

So I have stated that the number of people living in this area will be the population density multiplied by area. Easy enough. I have then partitioned up the large ring in between a and b into small rings.

Here's what I have so far:

[tex]Area_{i} = \pi(r^{2}_{i}-r^{2}_{i-1})[/tex]

and

[tex]\Delta r_{i} = r_{i}-r_{i-1}[/tex]

and it follows that

[tex]Population \approx \sum^{n}_{i=1}f(r^{i}_{*})\pi(r^{2}_{i}-r^{2}_{i-1})[/tex]

My question is, how do I convert this to an integral if there's no [tex]\Delta r[/tex] involved?

I do realize that as the rings get really small they can be approximated as circumferences but this still doesn't help me get the term I need.

Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Andrusko said:
Hey all I've got a problem to do with population density. It asks for you to show the number of people living between arbitrary points a and b from the centre of the town is equal to:

[tex]P(a,b)=2\pi\int^{b}_{a}rf(r)dr[/tex]

Where f(r) is the population density. Note that a is not the centre of the town, but a distance out from it, with a < b.

[tex]Area_{i} = \pi(r^{2}_{i}-r^{2}_{i-1})[/tex]

Hi Andrusko! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(I assume you mean the number of people living between arbitrary distances a and b from the centre of the town? :smile:)

No, using [tex]\text{Area}_{i} = \pi(r^{2}_{i}-r^{2}_{i-1})[/tex] is just a nuisance, and it doesn't incorporate d-anything.

You have correctly sliced up the area … in this case, into rings.

ok, call the thickness of each ring dr …

then its area (to first order of magnitude) is … ?

and so the total area is ∫ … dr ? :smile:

Ah, so I should treat it like a rectangle and go:

[tex] Area_{i} = 2\pi r^{*}_{i} \Delta r_{i} [/tex]

Then the Riemann sum becomes:

[tex]Population \approx \sum^{n}_{i=1} f(r^{*}_{i})2\pi r^{*}_{i} \Delta r_{i}[/tex]

Which in the limit as [tex]\Delta r_{i} \rightarrow 0[/tex] becomes:

[tex]Population = \int^{b}_{a} f(r)2\pi rdr[/tex]
[tex]Population = 2\pi\int^{b}_{a} rf(r)dr[/tex]

This seems to have solved it. Thankyou for the help.

Related to Integral involving population density

1. What is an integral involving population density?

An integral involving population density is a mathematical calculation used to determine the total population within a given area or region. It involves integrating the population density function over the area of interest.

2. How is the population density function determined?

The population density function is determined by dividing the total population in a given area by the size of that area. It is usually expressed in units of people per square kilometer or square mile.

3. What is the significance of calculating an integral involving population density?

Calculating an integral involving population density can provide valuable information about the distribution and concentration of a population within a given area. This information can be used for urban planning, resource allocation, and other demographic studies.

4. Are there different methods for calculating an integral involving population density?

Yes, there are various methods for calculating an integral involving population density. Some common methods include using numerical integration techniques, such as the trapezoidal rule or Simpson's rule, or using software to perform the calculation.

5. How accurate are the results of an integral involving population density?

The accuracy of the results depends on the accuracy of the data used to create the population density function. If the data is collected and measured accurately, the results of the integral will also be accurate. However, any errors or inconsistencies in the data can affect the accuracy of the results.