Integral ##\int_{-1}^{1} [P_{l}^{m}]^2 ln [P_{l}^{m}]^2 dx##

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate a definite integral involving associated Legendre functions, which can be interpreted as a kind of entropy in a specific quantum state. It is not the same as the von Neumann entropy, but it can be shown to be positive unless the wave function is a delta function. The conversation also touches on the normalization of wave functions in different spaces and a question about ln(ln) not being equal to ln(ln) when dealing with matrix elements.
dongsh2
Hi, todos:

Do you know how to calculate the definte integral for Integral for ##\int_{-1}^{1} [P_{l}^{m}]^2 \ln [P_{l}^{m}]^2 dx##, where ##P_{l}^{m} (x)## is associated Legendre functions. Thanks for your time and help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Is there a particular reason why you posted this in the Quantum Physics forum instead of the math forum?

Likes Demystifier
The integral seems to be a kind of entropy in a specific quantum state. But note that it is not von Neumann entropy. Let me explain. Let ##\psi(x)## be a wave function. The integral above can be interpreted in terms of entropy defined as
$$S=-\int dx \rho(x){\rm ln}\rho(x)$$
where
$$\rho(x)=\psi^*(x)\psi(x)$$
The von Neumann entropy is
$$S_{vN}=-\int dx \int dx' \rho(x,x')({\rm ln}\rho)(x',x)$$
where
$$\rho(x,x')=\psi^*(x')\psi(x)$$
Note that ##({\rm ln}\rho)(x',x)\neq {\rm ln}(\rho(x',x))##. Clearly, the two entropies are different. It can be shown that ##S_{vN}=0## (since wave function represents a pure state), while ##S>0## (unless ##\psi(x)## is something like a ##\delta##-function).

Last edited:
Likes bhobba and QuantumQuest
PeterDonis said:
Is there a particular reason why you posted this in the Quantum Physics forum instead of the math forum?

This function is used widely in physics. Physicist is familiar with this topic not the mathematician.

Demystifier said:
The integral seems to be a kind of entropy in a specific quantum state. But note that it is not von Neumann entropy. Let me explain. Let ##\psi(x)## be a wave function. The integral above can be interpreted in terms of entropy defined as
where
where
Note that ##({\rm ln}\rho)(x',x)\neq {\rm ln}(\rho(x',x))##. Clearly, the two entropies are different. It can be shown that ##S_{vN}=0## (since wave function represents a pure state), while ##S>0## (unless ##\psi(x)## is something like a ##\delta##-function).

Thanks. The problem is how to calculate it? Or there is no analytical result?

I don't know how to calculate it analytically. Perhaps a mathematician might know. But am I right that your physical motivation is to compute a kind of entropy?

Demystifier said:
I don't know how to calculate it analytically. Perhaps a mathematician might know. But am I right that your physical motivation is to compute a kind of entropy?

right.

dongsh2 said:
right.
Dear Demystifier,

Byproduct, I have another question. The wave function is position space is normalized. However, after Fourier transform using mathematica, why some of wave function in momentum is normalized, but some of them are not normalized. We have to renormalize them once again. I use
\psi(p)=\frac{1}{(2\pi)^{3/2}}\int\psi(r) \exp{- i p\dot r} d^3 r.
Thanks.

I doubt there is some problem in mathematica 10.

If you mean
$$\tilde{\psi}(\vec{p})=\int_{\mathbb{R}^3} \mathrm{d}^3 \vec{x} \frac{1}{(2 \pi)^{3/2}} \exp(-\mathrm{i} \vec{x} \cdot \vec{p}) \psi(\vec{x}),$$
then
$$\int_{\mathbb{R}^3} \mathrm{d}^3 \vec{p} |\psi(\vec{p})|^2=\int_{\mathbb{R}^3} \mathrm{d}^3 \vec{x} |\psi(\vec{x})|^2,$$
because with the chosen prefactor the Fourier transformation is a unitary mapping ##\mathrm{L}^2(\mathbb{R}^3) \rightarrow \mathrm{L}^2(\mathbb{R}^3)##.

Likes bhobba
Maybe you can express one of the outer P's in terms of its derivative and perform a partial integration to get rid of the ln?

Demystifier said:
where
where
Did you mean ##\ln \rho(x',x) \ne \ln \rho(x)##, cause I don't understand mathematically why what you wrote is not equal, it doesn't matter if you evaluate ##\ln \rho## at ##(x,x')## inside the log or outside the log.

I don't understand this inequality you wrote.

MathematicalPhysicist said:
Did you mean ##\ln \rho(x',x) \ne \ln \rho(x)##, cause I don't understand mathematically why what you wrote is not equal, it doesn't matter if you evaluate ##\ln \rho## at ##(x,x')## inside the log or outside the log.

I don't understand this inequality you wrote.
You must think of ##\rho(x',x)## as matrix elements ##\rho_{x'x}## of the matrix ##\rho##. Similarly, ##\rho(x)=\rho(x,x)## are diagonal matrix elements ##\rho_{xx}##. From that point of view we have, for instance,
$$(\rho^2)_{x'x}=\sum_{x''}\rho_{x'x''}\rho_{x''x}\neq (\rho_{x'x})^2$$
Similarly,
$$({\rm ln}\rho)_{x'x}\neq {\rm ln}(\rho_{x'x})$$
To define logarithm of a matrix you must expand the logarithm into a Taylor series, which reduces the logarithm of a matrix to the well defined multiplication and summation of matrices.

Ah , OK agreed.

Related to Integral ##\int_{-1}^{1} [P_{l}^{m}]^2 ln [P_{l}^{m}]^2 dx##

1. What is the meaning of "Integral ##\int_{-1}^{1} [P_{l}^{m}]^2 ln [P_{l}^{m}]^2 dx##"?

This integral represents the area under the curve of the function ##[P_{l}^{m}]^2 ln [P_{l}^{m}]^2## between the limits of -1 and 1. It is a mathematical expression used in physics and engineering to calculate certain properties of physical systems.

2. What do the symbols ##l## and ##m## represent in the integral?

The symbols ##l## and ##m## represent the quantum numbers that describe the energy levels and orbital angular momentum of an atom or molecule. This integral is used to calculate the probability density of finding an electron at a specific energy level and angular momentum.

3. How is this integral related to the probability density function?

The integral ##\int_{-1}^{1} [P_{l}^{m}]^2 ln [P_{l}^{m}]^2 dx## is the probability density function for an electron in a specific energy level and angular momentum state. It represents the likelihood of finding an electron in a particular region of space.

4. What is the significance of taking the natural logarithm of the squared function in the integral?

The natural logarithm of the squared function is used to weight the probability density function, giving more emphasis to certain regions and reducing the impact of others. This allows for a more accurate calculation of the probability density and properties of the physical system.

5. How is this integral used in practical applications?

This integral is used in a variety of practical applications, such as calculating the energy levels of atoms and molecules, understanding the behavior of electrons in a magnetic field, and determining the stability of atomic and molecular structures. It is an important tool in the fields of physics, chemistry, and engineering.