Integral Inequality: Prove x-1 > Int(sin(t)/t) for x>1

In summary, the conversation discusses how to show that ## 1-x+ \int^x_1 \frac{\sin t}{t} \ dt < 0## for ## x > 1 ##. The individual attempts to find a solution by rewriting the integral and finding the derivative of the function, but encounters difficulty. However, it is pointed out that when ##x > 1##, ##f'(x) < 0## which proves the original statement.
Rectifier
Gold Member
The problem
Show that ## 1-x+ \int^x_1 \frac{\sin t}{t} \ dt < 0## for ## x > 1 ##

The attempt
I rewrite the integral as
##\int^x_1 \frac{\sin t}{t} \ dt < x-1 ##

This is about where I get. Can someone give any suggestions on how to continue from here?

Physics news on Phys.org
Rectifier said:
The problem
Show that ## 1-x+ \int^x_1 \frac{\sin t}{t} \ dt < 0## for ## x > 1 ##

The attempt
I rewrite the integral as
##\int^x_1 \frac{\sin t}{t} \ dt < x-1 ##

This is about where I get. Can someone give any suggestions on how to continue from here?

Let ##f(x) = 1 - x + \int^x_1 \frac{\sin t}{t} \ dt##

Likes Rectifier
Should I find the derivative to the function and plot it to see if the graph to the function is below the x-axis?

Rectifier said:
Should I find the derivative to the function and plot it to see if the graph to the function is below the x-axis?

What's stopping you?

Well, I tried but I stumbled upon this:
##1=\frac{\sin x}{x}## when I derived it and wanted to see where the derivative was 0. I don't think that I can solve that. ;(

Rectifier said:
Well, I tried but I stumbled upon this:
##1=\frac{\sin x}{x}## when I derived it and wanted to see where the derivative was 0. I don't think that I can solve that. ;(

What's ##f'(x)##?

It's ##f'(x) = D \left(1-x+ \int^x_1 \frac{\sin t}{t} \ dt \right) = -1+ \frac{\sin x}{x} ##

And when ##x > 1##?

Likes Rectifier
Not the same?

Rectifier said:
Not the same?

When ##x > 1## then ##f'(x) < 0##. You should be able to see that sort of thing.

Likes Rectifier
How can I see that? Anything that I should look for? Does it have to do with the fact that the fraction ## \frac{\sin x}{x} ##is always smaller than 1 since ##\lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} \frac{\sin x}{x} = 0##?

EDIT: see edit

Rectifier said:
How can I see that? Anything that I should look for? Does it have to do with the fact that the fraction is always smaller than 1?

EDIT: see edit

Yes, ##f(1) = 0##, so if ##f'(x) < 0## for ##x > 1## you are done.

Likes Rectifier
ok, thanks!

Related to Integral Inequality: Prove x-1 > Int(sin(t)/t) for x>1

1. What is an integral inequality?

An integral inequality is a mathematical inequality that involves an integral, which is a mathematical concept used to calculate the area under a curve. It typically involves comparing the value of the integral to a specific number or expression.

2. How do you prove an integral inequality?

To prove an integral inequality, you need to use mathematical techniques such as integration by parts, substitution, or comparison with a known integral. You also need to have a good understanding of the properties of integrals and their relationships to other mathematical concepts.

3. What is the significance of the inequality x-1 > Int(sin(t)/t) for x>1?

This inequality is significant because it shows a relationship between the values of x and the integral of the sine function over the interval from 1 to x. It also has applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

4. Can you provide an example of how this inequality is used in real-world situations?

One example of how this inequality is used is in calculating the area under a curve to determine the work done by a variable force. In this case, x represents the upper limit of the integral and the integral itself represents the work done by the force.

5. Are there any other important integral inequalities to be aware of?

Yes, there are many other important integral inequalities such as the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality, the Hölder's inequality, and the Minkowski's inequality. These inequalities have various applications in mathematics and other fields of study.