Integral form of the unit step function

In summary, the unit step function can be written as \Theta(s)=\frac{1}{2\pi i} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} dx \frac{e^{ixs}}{x-i0}, where the limit is taken from above and the pole is contained in the upper half of the complex plane. This equation is important in theoretical physics as it relates to causality of events. The pole is not contained in the upper complex plane if s<0, but is contained if s>0.
ryanwilk

Homework Statement

I need to show that the unit step function ([tex]\Theta(s) = 0 [/tex] for [tex] s<0, 1 [/tex] for [tex] s>0[/tex]) can be written as [tex]\Theta(s)=\frac{1}{2\pi i} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} dx \frac{e^{ixs}}{x-i0}.[/tex]

Homework Equations

-

The Attempt at a Solution

Firstly, I'm unsure about what "x-i0" actually means. I've looked online and couldn't find anything but if it means "x minus an infinitessimal multiple of i", it kinda works.

There will be a pole in the upper half of the complex plane.

-For s>0, the pole will be contained, with residue [tex]e^0 = 1[/tex]. Then calculating the integral and dividing by [tex]2\pi i[/tex] will give [tex]\Theta(s) = 1 [/tex] for [tex] s>0.[/tex]

-For s<0, the pole won't be contained so the integral will be zero and [tex]\Theta(s) = 0 [/tex] for [tex] s<0.[/tex]

However, if "x-i0" just means "x", the pole is on the axis and it won't make a difference whether s is less or greater than 0...

Physics news on Phys.org
You are right, you should actually read

[tex]
\Theta(s)= \lim_{\epsilon \downarrow 0} \frac{1}{2\pi i} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} dx \frac{e^{ixs}}{x-i\epsilon}
[/tex]
(note how the limit is taken from above).

(As a side remark: In theoretical physics this is a very important equation, relating to causality of events).

CompuChip said:
You are right, you should actually read

[tex]
\Theta(s)= \lim_{\epsilon \downarrow 0} \frac{1}{2\pi i} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} dx \frac{e^{ixs}}{x-i\epsilon}
[/tex]
(note how the limit is taken from above).

(As a side remark: In theoretical physics this is a very important equation, relating to causality of events).

Oh right, thanks a lot! :smile:

Any one can explain why the pole is not contained in the upper complex plane if s < 0? Thank you!

Well, the pole is the solution of [itex]x_0 - i \epsilon = 0[/itex], i.e it is at [itex]x_0 = i \epsilon[/itex].
So if you take the limit from above, where [itex]\epsilon > 0[/itex], then it is clearly in the top half of the complex plane (i.e. {z in C | Im(z) > 0 }).

You close the curve in counterclockwise direction, so [itex]\operatorname{Im}(x) \to +\infty[/itex], therefore it encircles the pole.

Thank you!

CompuChip said:
Well, the pole is the solution of [itex]x_0 - i \epsilon = 0[/itex], i.e it is at [itex]x_0 = i \epsilon[/itex].
So if you take the limit from above, where [itex]\epsilon > 0[/itex], then it is clearly in the top half of the complex plane (i.e. {z in C | Im(z) > 0 }).

You close the curve in counterclockwise direction, so [itex]\operatorname{Im}(x) \to +\infty[/itex], therefore it encircles the pole.

Related to Integral form of the unit step function

1. What is the integral form of the unit step function?

The integral form of the unit step function is defined as the integral of the Heaviside step function, which is a piecewise function that is equal to 0 for negative inputs and 1 for positive inputs.

2. How is the integral form of the unit step function used in science?

The integral form of the unit step function is commonly used in physics and engineering to model real-world systems that have a sudden change in behavior at a certain point in time or space. It is also used in signal processing and control systems.

3. Can the integral form of the unit step function be simplified?

Yes, the integral form of the unit step function can be simplified by using the properties of the Heaviside step function. For example, the integral of the unit step function from 0 to t is equal to t, and the integral from t to infinity is equal to 1.

4. What is the relationship between the integral form of the unit step function and the Dirac delta function?

The integral form of the unit step function can be written as the derivative of the Dirac delta function. This relationship is useful in solving differential equations and evaluating integrals involving the unit step function.

5. Are there other forms of the unit step function?

Yes, there are other forms of the unit step function, such as the piecewise function and the Laplace transform. These forms can be more convenient in certain applications, but they are all equivalent to the integral form in terms of their properties and behavior.