Integral Bounds Determination in Spherical Coordinates

In summary, spherical coordinates are useful for simplifying calculations for integrals involving spherical shapes in physics and engineering. To convert from Cartesian coordinates to spherical coordinates, the formulas for r, θ, and φ can be used. The integral bounds for a spherical shape can be determined by looking at the limits of r, θ, and φ. Spherical coordinates cannot be used for integrals involving other shapes, and their advantages include simplifying calculations, aiding visualization and understanding, and being naturally defined in certain problems.
DHB_Integral

Homework Statement

How to determine the integral bounds of phi in spherical polar coordinates. Please see my exact question at the end of page 2 of 2 in attachments.

Homework Equations

Please see my attachments

The Attempt at a Solution

Please see my attachments.

Attachments

• I_Page_1.jpg
    I_Page_1.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 530
  • I_Page_2.jpg
    I_Page_2.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 496
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I just tried out the integral bounds of phi , it can work getting the correct result. but It cannot convince myself in terms of the bounds of phi, based on the graph on page 1, it should be equal to pi/4. So, how to prove the bounds of phi? Please help with question.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Last edited:

Related to Integral Bounds Determination in Spherical Coordinates

1. What is the purpose of using spherical coordinates in integral bounds determination?

Spherical coordinates are useful for determining integral bounds because they can simplify calculations for integrals involving spherical shapes. This is especially helpful for problems in physics and engineering involving spherical objects or systems.

2. How do you convert from Cartesian coordinates to spherical coordinates?

To convert from Cartesian coordinates (x,y,z) to spherical coordinates (r,θ,φ), you can use the following formulas:
r = √(x² + y² + z²)
θ = arctan(y/x)
φ = arctan(√(x² + y²)/z)
Note that θ represents the angle from the positive x-axis, and φ represents the angle from the positive z-axis.

3. How do you determine the integral bounds for a spherical shape?

The integral bounds for a spherical shape can be determined by looking at the limits of the variables r, θ, and φ. In general, r will have bounds of 0 to the radius of the sphere, θ will have bounds of 0 to 2π, and φ will have bounds of 0 to π.

4. Can spherical coordinates be used for any type of integral?

No, spherical coordinates are only useful for integrals involving spherical shapes. They cannot be used for integrals involving other shapes, such as cubes or cylinders.

5. What are some advantages of using spherical coordinates for integrals?

Using spherical coordinates can make calculations for integrals involving spherical shapes much simpler and more efficient. Additionally, they can help to visualize and understand the problem better, especially for physical and engineering applications. Finally, spherical coordinates are often used in cases where the problem is naturally defined in spherical coordinates, making it easier to set up and solve the integral.