Integral and Partial fractions

In summary, the person is trying to solve for A, B, and D using the method of partial fractions. They get confused when they try to plug in negative numbers and end up with an extra factor (x+1) in front of everything. They need help solving for the two unknowns.
jimen113

Homework Statement

use the method of partial fractions on [tex]\int[/tex] [tex]\frac{36}{(x-2)(x-1)^2(x+1)^2}[/tex] dx

2. Homework Equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\frac{A}{(x-2)}[/tex] + [tex]\frac{B}{(x-1)}[/tex] + [tex]\frac{C}{(x-1)^2}[/tex] + [tex]\frac{D}{(x+1)}[/tex] + [tex]\frac{E}{(x+1)^2}[/tex]
I took the 36 out of the integral. Then

A(x-1) (x-1)^2 (x+1) (x+1)^2 + B(x-2) (x-1)^2 (x+1) (x+1)^2 + C (x-2)(x-1) (x+1) (x+1)^2 + D(x-2) (x-1) (x-1)^2 (x+1)^2 + E (x-2)(x-1) (x-1)^2 (x+1) =1
In the first fraction (A) (all terms cancel)
I tried to plug in x=
1, -1, 0, 2, -2, into (A(x-1) (x-1)^2 (x+1) (x+1)^2 + B(x-2) (x-1)^2 (x+1) (x+1)^2 + C (x-2)(x-1) (x+1) (x+1)^2 + D(x-2) (x-1) (x-1)^2 (x+1)^2 + E (x-2)(x-1) (x-1)^2 (x+1) =1)
so...
when x=1 I ended up with B(-2) +C(-4)=1 (I know this is probably simple algebra or I'm definitely screwing up somewhere

Any help is appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
Why do you have this extra factor (x+1) in front of everything? For example for A you would get:

[tex]\frac{A}{x-2} (x-2)(x-1)^2(x+1)^2=A (x-1)^2(x+1)^2[/tex]. You have added an extra (x+1) and you're doing that for every term it seems.

You start out with:

[tex]\frac{A}{x-2}+\frac{B}{x-1}+\frac{C}{(x-1)^2}+\frac{D}{x+1}+\frac{E}{(x+1)^2}=\frac{1}{(x-2)(x-1)^2(x+1)^2}[/tex]

right?

Then multiply both sides with the denominator of the right hand side.

[tex]A(x-1)^2(x+1)^2+B(x-2)(x-1)(x+1)^2+C(x-2)(x+1)^2+D(x-2)(x-1)^2(x+1)+E(x-2)(x-1)^2=1[/tex]

Now set [itex]x=1 \Rightarrow C=-\frac{1}{4}[/itex], [itex]x=2 \Rightarrow A=\frac{1}{9}[/itex] etc.

Last edited:
You made the mistake over here:
Code:
A(x-1) (x-1)^2 (x+1) (x+1)^2 + B(x-2) (x-1)^2 (x+1) (x+1)^2 + C (x-2)(x-1) (x+1) (x+1)^2 + D(x-2) (x-1) (x-1)^2 (x+1)^2 + E (x-2)(x-1) (x-1)^2 (x+1) =1

Because you multiple the separate fractions by the common denominator, it would end up as

A(x-1)^2 (x+1)^2 + B(x-2)(x-1)(x+1)^2 + ... + E(x-2)(x-1)^2 = 1

Thank you so much for your help zcd and cyosis. Last question: I get A= (1/9) C=(-1/4)
E=(-1/12)
But to find D and B I tried plugging in zero and didn't get anywhere. What other numbers can I plug into solve for D and E? :blushing:

You will have to pick two values such that B and D aren't multiplied by zero. Since you know all the other constants you will get two equations relating B to D. Solve them and you're good to go.

Last edited:
omg...thank you for your help...
I did try plugging in (-2) and I end up with:
1+B(12)+1+D(36)+3=1
and B(12)+D(36)=-4
so I'm still left with the two unknowns...

Try x=0 this will give you 1/9+2B+1/2-2D+1/6=1, -> B-D=1/9. You now have two equations and two unknowns so it is solvable.

thanks.

Related to Integral and Partial fractions

1. What is the difference between integral and partial fractions?

Integral fractions are fractions in which the numerator's degree is less than the denominator's degree, while partial fractions are fractions in which the numerator's degree is equal to or greater than the denominator's degree.

2. Why do we use partial fractions in calculus?

Partial fractions are used in calculus to simplify complex integrals involving rational functions. By breaking down a rational function into simpler partial fractions, it becomes easier to solve the integral using basic integration techniques.

3. How do you decompose a rational function into partial fractions?

To decompose a rational function into partial fractions, you must first determine if the denominator can be factored. Then, use the method of undetermined coefficients to find the coefficients of the partial fractions.

4. Can all rational functions be decomposed into partial fractions?

Yes, all rational functions can be decomposed into partial fractions. However, some may require the use of more advanced techniques such as complex numbers.

5. How do you integrate a rational function using partial fractions?

After decomposing the rational function into partial fractions, you can integrate each partial fraction separately using basic integration rules. Then, combine the resulting integrals to get the final solution.