Integral -- analytical way to prove this integral is non-negative?

In summary, the question is whether or not the integral \int_{2.04}^\infty \frac{\sin x}{x^2}dx is nonegative. Several approaches were attempted, including using a geometrical approach and integration by parts. Ultimately, the question can be answered by evaluating \int_{2.04}^{2\pi} \frac{\sin x}{x^2}\,dx or showing the existence of a lower Darboux sum that is strictly positive.
Mark_M
Is there any analytical way to prove that the integral [tex]\int_{2.04}^\infty \frac{\sin x}{x^2}dx[/tex] is nonegative?

I tryed to use geometrical approach, i.e. the graph of the integrand look like:

The magnitude became smaller and smaller, since [tex]\sin x[/tex] is multiplied by the decreasing function $1/x^2$, so the third area, which is positive, is bigger then the forth one, which is negative, and so on. BUT I don't know what to do with the first two areas(

OR integration by parts gave me
[tex]\int_{2.04}^\infty \frac{\sin x}{x^2}dx=\frac{\sin(2.04)}{2.04}-Ci(2.04)[/tex], where [tex]Ci(x)[/tex] is the cosine integral function.

Attachments

• integrand.bmp
    290 KB · Views: 520
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Mark_M said:
Is there any analytical way to prove that the integral [tex]\int_{2.04}^\infty \frac{\sin x}{x^2}dx[/tex] is nonegative?

I tryed to use geometrical approach, i.e. the graph of the integrand look like:

The magnitude became smaller and smaller, since [tex]\sin x[/tex] is multiplied by the decreasing function $1/x^2$, so the third area, which is positive, is bigger then the forth one, which is negative, and so on. BUT I don't know what to do with the first two areas(

OR integration by parts gave me
[tex]\int_{2.04}^\infty \frac{\sin x}{x^2}dx=\frac{\sin(2.04)}{2.04}-Ci(2.04)[/tex], where [tex]Ci(x)[/tex] is the cosine integral function.

So all you need to know is whether or not [tex]\int_{2.04}^{2\pi} \frac{\sin x}{x^2}\,dx \geq 0.[/tex] Evaluate it numerically.

If that doesn't satisfy your "analytic way" criterion, then you can instead show that there exists a lower Darboux sum which is strictly positive. It then follows that the integral is strictly positive.

Related to Integral -- analytical way to prove this integral is non-negative?

1. What is an integral and how is it used in mathematics?

An integral is a mathematical concept used to calculate the area under a curve. It is often used in calculus to find the total value of a function over a given interval.

2. What does it mean for an integral to be non-negative?

A non-negative integral means that the area under the curve is equal to or greater than zero. In other words, the function does not dip below the x-axis and has only positive values over the given interval.

3. How can one prove that an integral is non-negative using analytical methods?

One way to prove that an integral is non-negative is by showing that the function being integrated is always greater than or equal to zero over the given interval. This can be done by using algebraic manipulation and mathematical properties to simplify the function and show that it cannot have negative values.

4. What are the benefits of using an analytical approach to prove an integral is non-negative?

Analytical methods allow for a more rigorous and systematic approach to proving mathematical concepts. This can help to provide a more concrete and convincing proof of the non-negativity of an integral.

5. Are there any limitations to using analytical methods to prove an integral is non-negative?

While analytical methods can be useful in proving the non-negativity of an integral, they may not always be applicable or feasible for more complex integrals. In these cases, alternative methods such as numerical or graphical approaches may be necessary.