Integer Number Theory - n = p + a^2

In summary, the conversation involves proving or disproving the statement that if n is a positive integer, then n=p+a^2 where a\in\mathbb{Z}, p is prime or p=1, and the definition of "prime" includes negative primes. The individual discussing the problem initially found a counterexample with 25, but then realized that the definition of "prime" includes negative numbers. They are unsure if using an example is the best approach and are struggling to find a concrete way to prove or disprove the statement. A hint is given to focus on the case where n is a perfect square to limit the infinite possibilities.
jj7964130

Homework Statement

Prove or disprove: If n is a positive integer, then [itex]n=p+a^2[/itex] where
  • [itex]a\in\mathbb{Z}[/itex]
  • [itex]p[/itex] is prime or [itex]p=1[/itex]
Note that the interpretation of "prime" used here includes negative primes. So, an exhaustive list of possibilities for p is [itex]p=1,\pm2,\pm3,\pm5,\pm7,\pm11,\cdots[/itex]

Homework Equations

Prime is defined such that if p prime and p divides the product ab, then either p divides a or p divides b. Also, primes are irreducible.

Additionally, the fundamental theorem of arithmetic that defines all integers as a unique product of positive primes may be useful.

The Attempt at a Solution

Originally, I had found 25 as a counterexample that cannot be written as the sum of a prime and a square. Then the problem was clarified to include negative primes, and I'm a bit lost as to where I should start. Namely, I'm not sure if I should be working towards proving or disproving the argument. If anyone's worked through this already and could send me some guidance in the right direction, it would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
##25=-11+6^2##

I see a nice counterexample with a very small n.

mfb said:
##25=-11+6^2##

I see a nice counterexample with a very small n.

I'm not sure if an example is necessarily the best route to take...

Regardless of small n, it's very difficult to take into account all negative primes of large magnitude and squares of equally large magnitude. Since the list of possibilities is infinite, I don't see a concrete way to say "this will never be true."

Hmm, I did not see "positive" in the requirements. Ok, 0 does not work.
[STRIKE]There might be (p,a) for every positive n.[/STRIKE]

Last edited:
jj7964130 said:
I'm not sure if an example is necessarily the best route to take...

Regardless of small n, it's very difficult to take into account all negative primes of large magnitude and squares of equally large magnitude. Since the list of possibilities is infinite, I don't see a concrete way to say "this will never be true."

You do want to concentrate on finding a counterexample. Here's a hint: look at the case where n is a perfect square. Do you see how that helps in limiting the infinity of options?

Related to Integer Number Theory - n = p + a^2

1. What is Integer Number Theory?

Integer Number Theory is a branch of mathematics that studies integers, including prime numbers, divisors, and other related concepts. It is also known as "elementary number theory" and is considered one of the oldest and most fundamental areas of mathematics.

2. What is the significance of n = p + a^2 in Integer Number Theory?

The equation n = p + a^2 is known as the "sum of squares" and is a fundamental concept in Integer Number Theory. It is used to study the properties of prime numbers and their relationship with perfect squares.

3. What is the role of prime numbers in Integer Number Theory?

Prime numbers are essential in Integer Number Theory as they are the building blocks of all other integers. They have unique properties and are used to study the divisibility and factorization of integers.

4. Can the equation n = p + a^2 be used to find all prime numbers?

No, the equation n = p + a^2 does not provide a method for finding all prime numbers. It can only be used to determine if a given number is prime or not.

5. How is Integer Number Theory used in real-world applications?

Integer Number Theory has various practical applications in fields such as cryptography, computer science, and physics. Some examples include encryption algorithms, designing computer codes, and modeling the behavior of particles in quantum mechanics.