Int. Bessel Functions and Equation

In summary: J_{n}(x) = 0x^{2}*J_{n}(x) + x*Y_{n}(x) + (x^{2}-n^{2})*Y_{n}(x) = 0which proves that J_{n} and Y_{n} satisfy the given equation. In summary, we can prove that J_{n} and Y_{n} satisfy the equation x^{2}*y''(x)+x*y'(x)+(x^{2}-n^{2})*y(x)=0 using the definitions of Bessel functions and basic calculus techniques. I hope this helps. Best of luck with your further studies!
Aquinox

Homework Statement

Prove that [tex]J_{n}[/tex], [tex]Y_{n}[/tex] satisfy
[tex]x^{2}*y''(x)+x*y'(x)+(x^{2}-n^{2})*y(x)=0[/tex]

where [tex]n\inZ[/tex] and [tex]x\in(R_{>0}[/tex]

Homework Equations

The standard definitions of the bessel integrals as given here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bessel_Functions

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried to work on the first kind (J) by differentiating under the integral but never got to an equality. I'm pretty sure i can't integrate these (b/c of the sine in the cosine) but with differentiation I'm repeatedly stuck.
I'm pretty sure I'm missing something quite easy for the first step - and that's what I'd like to ask of you.

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
!

Thank you for your forum post. Proving that J_{n} and Y_{n} satisfy the given equation is a straightforward application of the definitions of Bessel functions. First, we can rewrite the equation as follows:

x^{2}*y''(x)+x*y'(x)+(x^{2}-n^{2})*y(x)=0
x^{2}*(d^{2}/dx^{2})y(x)+x*(d/dx)y(x)+(x^{2}-n^{2})*y(x)=0

Next, we can substitute in the definition of J_{n} and Y_{n} as given on the Wikipedia page:

J_{n}(x) = (1/pi)*∫_{0}^{pi} sin(n*t-x*sin(t)) dt
Y_{n}(x) = (1/pi)*∫_{0}^{pi} cos(n*t-x*sin(t)) dt

We can then use the chain rule to differentiate these expressions with respect to x:

(d/dx)J_{n}(x) = (1/pi)*∫_{0}^{pi} cos(n*t-x*sin(t)) * (-sin(t)) dt
(d/dx)Y_{n}(x) = (1/pi)*∫_{0}^{pi} (-sin(n*t-x*sin(t))) * (-sin(t)) dt

Using the product rule, we can then differentiate these expressions again with respect to x:

(d^{2}/dx^{2})J_{n}(x) = (1/pi)*∫_{0}^{pi} cos(n*t-x*sin(t)) * (-sin(t)) * (-sin(t)) + cos(n*t-x*sin(t)) * (-cos(t)) * (-sin(t)) dt
= (1/pi)*∫_{0}^{pi} cos(n*t-x*sin(t)) * (sin^{2}(t) + cos^{2}(t)) dt
= (1/pi)*∫_{0}^{pi} cos(n*t-x*sin(t)) dt
= J_{n}(x)

Similarly, we find that (d^{2}/dx^{2})Y_{n}(x) = Y_{n}(x). Substituting these expressions into the original equation, we get:

x^{2}*J_{n}(x) + x*J_{n}(x) + (x^{2

Related to Int. Bessel Functions and Equation

1. What are Int. Bessel Functions and Equations?

Int. Bessel Functions and Equations are mathematical functions and equations that are used to describe oscillatory behavior and phenomena in various fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics. They are named after the mathematician Friedrich Bessel and are a special type of solution to the Bessel's differential equation.

2. What is the significance of Int. Bessel Functions and Equations?

Int. Bessel Functions and Equations are important in understanding and modeling various physical processes, such as wave propagation, heat transfer, and electromagnetic fields. They also have applications in signal processing, image processing, and quantum mechanics.

3. How do Int. Bessel Functions and Equations differ from other types of functions and equations?

Int. Bessel Functions and Equations have specific properties that make them unique, such as their oscillatory behavior and their solutions being non-elementary and non-polynomial. They also have a singularity at the origin and can take on complex values.

4. What are some common applications of Int. Bessel Functions and Equations?

Int. Bessel Functions and Equations have a wide range of applications in engineering and physics. They are commonly used in solving problems related to wave propagation, heat transfer, and electromagnetic fields. They are also used in solving boundary value problems in physics and engineering.

5. Are there any practical uses for Int. Bessel Functions and Equations?

Yes, there are many practical uses for Int. Bessel Functions and Equations. They are used in designing antennas, analyzing acoustic and electromagnetic wave propagation, and in solving problems related to heat conduction and diffusion. They are also used in image processing, pattern recognition, and signal analysis.