What is the acceleration of a box on a 20 degree inclined plane?

In summary, the mass of a box on a smooth inclined plane with an angle of 20 degrees to the horizontal is irrelevant in determining its motion. The only factor that affects its motion is the component of the weight in the direction parallel to the inclined plane. This can be found by resolving the force due to the weight into two components, with one being perpendicular and canceled by the normal force. The other component gives the acceleration, which can then be used in the kinematic equations to determine how long it will take for the box to reach the bottom of the inclined plane.
fish
a box on a smooth inclined plane with an angle of 20 degrees to the horrizontal. If the inclined plane is 5 m long, how long does it take for the mass to reach the bottom of the inclined plane after the mass is released?

I did sin 20 degrees x 5.0 m = 1.71 m
how do i get the mass from this measurement?
1.71m can't equal mg=w
w=9.8m/s^2*mass
If I could find find (a)accel., then I could use one of the
kinematic equations.

Physics news on Phys.org
The mass is irrelevant. The only part of the weight that affects the motion of the box is the component of the weight in the direction parallel to the inclined plane. That is, you have to resolve the force due to the weight into two components: one parallel to the plane and one perpendicular. The one perpendicular is canceled by the normal force exerted by the surface since there is no acceleration in that direction. The one parallel gives your acceleration. That is,
mgsin20=ma

thanks Stephen, I got it now.
Once you solve for a, the masses
cancel each other out.

Related to What is the acceleration of a box on a 20 degree inclined plane?

1. What is an inclined plane and how does it work?

An inclined plane is a flat surface that is angled or tilted, typically with one end higher than the other. It works by reducing the amount of force needed to move an object from a lower point to a higher point by spreading out the force needed over a longer distance.

2. What are the advantages of using an inclined plane?

Inclined planes offer several advantages, such as reducing the effort needed to move an object, allowing for the movement of heavy objects without the need for extreme force, and providing a stable surface for objects to slide on without tipping over.

3. How does the weight of the box affect its movement on an inclined plane?

The weight of the box affects its movement on an inclined plane because the greater the weight of the box, the more force is needed to move it up the plane. This is due to the force of gravity pulling the box down the incline.

4. Can friction affect the movement of the box on an inclined plane?

Yes, friction can affect the movement of the box on an inclined plane. Friction is the force that opposes motion, and on an inclined plane, it acts against the direction of the box's movement. This can make it more difficult to move the box up the incline.

5. How can the angle of the inclined plane affect the movement of the box?

The angle of the inclined plane can greatly affect the movement of the box. As the angle increases, the force needed to move the box up the incline also increases. If the angle is too steep, the box may not be able to move at all, as the force needed would be greater than the weight of the box.