Instantaneous Axis of Rotation

In summary: R, and the opposite when u go near.In summary, when a wheel rolls without slipping, the point of contact with the ground is at rest and the motion can be thought of as pure rotation about an "instantaneous axis". Points closer to the ground have a smaller linear speed while those farther away have a greater linear speed. The blur on the top part of the wheel in the accompanying picture is to convey the concept of motion with respect to the ground. The deformation of a wheel can occur if all parts are not rotating with the same angular speed, which is often seen in drag racing due to slipping. However, in the case of a rolling wheel without slipping, no further frictional force is needed once
e(ho0n3
I have some doubts on the following:

When a wheel rolls without slipping, the point of contact of the wheel with the ground is instantaneously at rest. It is sometimes useful to think of the motion of the wheel as pure rotation about this "instantaneous axis". Points [on the wheel] close to the ground have a small linear speed, as they are close to this instantaneous axis, whereas points farther away have a greater linear speed.

The above is from my Giancoli physics book and accompanying the above is a picture of a bicycle wheel with the top part of the wheel blurred due to the greater speed. I understand what is happening here but I can't help to think that if all parts of the wheel aren't moving with the same speed then wouldn't the wheel suffer from some deformation? I'm guessing if the speed is relatively small, the deformation is ignorable.

Any comments?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If all parts of the wheel aren't rotating with the same angular speed, then you'll have deformation. Perhaps that's what you are thinking of?

I don't see the problem with a rolling wheel. The linear velocity of any part with repect to the ground is the vector sum of its velocity with respect to the center (same speed for a given radius, but different directions!) plus the velocity of the center with respect to the ground (a constant, presumably). I'm sure you realize that the velocity w.r.t. the center of each part of the wheel points in a different direction. :smile:

Does that help at all?

Doc Al said:
I don't see the problem with a rolling wheel. The linear velocity of any part with repect to the ground is the vector sum of its velocity with respect to the center (same speed for a given radius, but different directions!) plus the velocity of the center with respect to the ground (a constant, presumably). I'm sure you realize that the velocity w.r.t. the center of each part of the wheel points in a different direction. :smile:
Yes, this is all perfectly clear.

If all parts of the wheel aren't rotating with the same angular speed, then you'll have deformation. Perhaps that's what you are thinking of?
Have you ever seen a drag race? When the light turns green and the drag racer accelerates, you can see that the wheels acquire an elliptical shape. But I guess this occurs because the wheels are slipping. I guess I'm misinterpreting the cause of the blur on the picture of the bike wheel.

Thanks

e(ho0n3 said:
Have you ever seen a drag race? When the light turns green and the drag racer accelerates, you can see that the wheels acquire an elliptical shape. But I guess this occurs because the wheels are slipping.
Ah... now I think I see what you are talking about. For the car to accelerate, frictional force must be exerted on the tire (and, vice versa, on the road). There is no way to do this without some distortion of the tire. (Good observation.)

But I don't think that has anything to do with the picture in your book, which I'm sure just shows a wheel rolling without slipping. Once it's up to speed, no further frictional force is needed (ideal case, of course). The top is probably blurred just to give you the feel that it's moving with respect to the ground (and the observer), while the bottom is unblurred because it's not moving. Makes sense to me.

"instantaneously" the wheel is rotating about a fixed axis(which is the common point btw the wheel and the ground), so the equation for this case is V=W R, where W is constant and R is variable so when u go far from the "IC" the velocity will increase

Related to Instantaneous Axis of Rotation

What is the Instantaneous Axis of Rotation?

The Instantaneous Axis of Rotation is an imaginary line around which an object rotates at a specific instant in time. It represents the direction and magnitude of the rotational motion of an object.

How is the Instantaneous Axis of Rotation different from the Axis of Rotation?

The Instantaneous Axis of Rotation is different from the Axis of Rotation in that it only exists at a specific instant in time, while the Axis of Rotation is a fixed line around which an object rotates continuously.

What factors determine the location of the Instantaneous Axis of Rotation?

The location of the Instantaneous Axis of Rotation is determined by the direction and magnitude of the linear and angular velocities of an object at a specific instant in time. It is also influenced by the shape and distribution of mass of the object.

Can the Instantaneous Axis of Rotation change?

Yes, the Instantaneous Axis of Rotation can change depending on the changes in the object's linear and angular velocities. It can also change if there are external forces acting on the object, causing its rotational motion to shift.

Why is the Instantaneous Axis of Rotation important in studying rotational motion?

The Instantaneous Axis of Rotation helps us understand the direction and magnitude of an object's rotational motion at a specific instant in time. It is also crucial in analyzing the dynamics and stability of rotating objects, as well as in designing machines and structures that involve rotational motion.