Rotating Cone and instantaneous axis of rotation

In summary: Now, find the angular velocity about that axis. In summary, the angular velocity around the instantaneous axis of rotation is \omega .
RicardoMP

Homework Statement

Hi! I'm trying to solve a simple problem of mechanics, but I'm getting the wrong results and I suppose I don't yet grasp the concept of instantaneous axis of rotation very well.
So, a cone (see attached picture) is rolling without slipping on a plane. Vp is point P linear velocity on the laboratory frame with its origin on the cone's apex. I must choose "z" as the vertical axis and, instantaneously, "x" along the line of contact.
I have to find the instantaneous angular velocity vector [tex] \omega [/tex].

Homework Equations

[tex]\omega = \Omega + \omega _s[/tex]
\Omega = \frac{v_p}{hcos(\alpha)}
\omega _s = \frac{v_p}{R}

The Attempt at a Solution

My first thought was that there are 2 contributions for the angular velocity: [tex]\Omega[/tex] pointing upwards and relates to the rotation of the cone around the vertical axis going through the origin and [tex]\omega _s[/tex] which is the spin angular velocity of the cone. I simply decomposed the spin ang.vel in its x and z components and got
[tex]\omega = (\omega_s cos(\alpha))e_x+(\omega_s sin(\alpha) + \Omega)e_z[/tex]
And I thought that was it.
The solution states that the angular velocity only has component along x: \omega = (\omega,0,0) and I'm failing to see how. Is the line of contact an instantaneous axis of rotation? And what does that mean for this problem?

Thank you in advance

Attachments

• cone.png
    cone.png
    85.7 KB · Views: 498
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
RicardoMP said:

Homework Statement

Hi! I'm trying to solve a simple problem of mechanics, but I'm getting the wrong results and I suppose I don't yet grasp the concept of instantaneous axis of rotation very well.
So, a cone (see attached picture) is rolling without slipping on a plane. Vp is point P linear velocity on the laboratory frame with its origin on the cone's apex. I must choose "z" as the vertical axis and, instantaneously, "x" along the line of contact.
I have to find the instantaneous angular velocity vector [tex] \omega [/tex].

Homework Equations

[tex]\omega = \Omega + \omega _s[/tex]
##\Omega = \frac{v_p}{hcos(\alpha)}##
##\omega _s = \frac{v_p}{R}##

The Attempt at a Solution

My first thought was that there are 2 contributions for the angular velocity: [tex]\Omega[/tex] pointing upwards and relates to the rotation of the cone around the vertical axis going through the origin and [tex]\omega _s[/tex] which is the spin angular velocity of the cone. I simply decomposed the spin ang.vel in its x and z components and got
[tex]\omega = (\omega_s cos(\alpha))e_x+(\omega_s sin(\alpha) + \Omega)e_z[/tex]
And I thought that was it.
The solution states that the angular velocity only has component along ##\ x: \omega = (\omega,0,0)\ ## and I'm failing to see how. Is the line of contact an instantaneous axis of rotation? And what does that mean for this problem?

Thank you in advance
I'm looking for the attached picture.

Last edited:
SammyS said:
I'm looking for the attached picture.
I'm so sorry! I completely forgot to attach it!

RicardoMP said:
The solution states that the angular velocity only has component along x: \omega = (\omega,0,0) and I'm failing to see how. Is the line of contact an instantaneous axis of rotation?
Yes. That line of the cone is in contact with the plane and is not slipping, therefore it is instantaneously stationary. That makes it the instantaneous axis of rotation.
Concentrate on the point P. You know its velocity, and you know it is rotating about that axis.

Related to Rotating Cone and instantaneous axis of rotation

What is a rotating cone?

A rotating cone is a three-dimensional shape that is formed by rotating a right-angled triangle around one of its legs. The resulting shape is a cone with a circular base and a pointed vertex.

What is the instantaneous axis of rotation?

The instantaneous axis of rotation is an imaginary line that passes through a rotating object and remains fixed at a specific point in time. It represents the direction of motion of the object at that instant and is perpendicular to the plane of rotation.

How is the instantaneous axis of rotation determined in a rotating cone?

In a rotating cone, the instantaneous axis of rotation is located at the center of the cone's circular base. This is because the cone rotates around this point, and the points on the cone's surface move in a circular motion around this axis.

What is the relationship between the instantaneous axis of rotation and the cone's angular velocity?

The instantaneous axis of rotation is directly related to the cone's angular velocity. The angular velocity is the rate at which the cone rotates around its axis, and the instantaneous axis of rotation is the axis around which this rotation occurs.

What is the significance of the instantaneous axis of rotation in studying rotational motion?

The instantaneous axis of rotation is crucial in understanding rotational motion because it helps us determine the direction and speed of an object's rotation at a specific point in time. It also allows us to calculate other important parameters such as torque and angular momentum.