Instant communication between great distances?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of nothing being able to travel faster than light and explores a hypothetical scenario where a pole stretches from Earth to a distant planet. It is concluded that signals sent through the pole would still be limited by the speed of sound, and the theory of general relativity also plays a role in this concept. The speaker thanks the others for their input on the matter.
dollarbill220
Ok, anyone browsing such a forum as this should know all too well the premise that nothing can travel faster than light. BUT!... and please humor me here, these are some very far-fetched theoretical situations.

Let's say you are on the earth, and I am on some distant planet. Let's just say Gliese 581-D for the sake of argument. However far it is, 20 ly or whatever, let's say we had a giant pole that could stretch the two distances. If the pole moves, would we not feel it on both ends at the same time? Could we send signals using Morse Code with the pole, or something like it, and receive them instantly?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
No. Signals like that travel in vibrations at the speed of sound in the material which is always far slower than the speed of light.

General relativity forbids a totally inelastic object, which makes condensed matter an interesting subject.

Super, I'll but that for a dollar. I suppose if that was possible, someone would have thought about it before me. Thanks for answering my question, that's all I needed to know... for now.

Yep, I've heard this idea before.
To repeat what others said: The pole is limited by lightspeed.

Related to Instant communication between great distances?

What is instant communication between great distances?

Instant communication between great distances refers to the ability to send and receive information or messages with little to no delay between two points that are physically far apart.

How does instant communication between great distances work?

Instant communication between great distances is made possible through various technologies such as satellites, fiber-optic cables, and wireless networks. These technologies allow for the transmission of data at high speeds, enabling instant communication between two distant points.

What are the benefits of instant communication between great distances?

Instant communication between great distances has numerous benefits, including improved global connectivity, faster dissemination of information, and increased efficiency in business and personal communication. It also enables real-time collaboration and access to information from anywhere in the world.

What are the challenges and limitations of instant communication between great distances?

One of the main challenges of instant communication between great distances is the cost associated with setting up and maintaining the necessary infrastructure. Additionally, factors such as network congestion, technical failures, and security concerns can affect the speed and reliability of communication.

What does the future hold for instant communication between great distances?

The future of instant communication between great distances looks promising, with advancements in technology continuously improving speed and reliability. With the rise of 5G networks and the development of new technologies like quantum communication, we can expect even faster and more efficient communication between great distances in the future.