Insert Latex formulas into the threads?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to insert Latex formulas into forum threads, the use of imaginary numbers in spin matrices, and the relationship between matrices and vectors in different contexts. One user provides a step-by-step guide for inserting Latex formulas, while another explains the use of imaginary numbers in spin matrices and the significance of generators in Lie groups. The conversation also touches on the duality between matrices and vectors in certain cases.
jet10
hi there
I am new here. Could some one tell me how to insert Latex formulas into the threads?

About spin matrices:
we get imanary no. in these matrices.

Let's say we have S= n1.sx + n2.sy +n3.sz showing us the magnitude in each component (sx, sy, sz are the spin matrices/vectors). What does it show us? How should we interprete the imaginary no.?

Physics news on Phys.org
1.Go to a thread where u can find latex formulas written.Click on one of them and u'll be opened a window in which u find the "sourse code" for that formula.Below it there's a link to the webpage (pdf file which can be downloaded) in which,basically on 4 pages,u are explained how to write tex.

2.What complex number??

jet10 said:
Let's say we have S= n1.sx + n2.sy +n3.sz showing us the magnitude in each component (sx, sy, sz are the spin matrices/vectors). What does it show us? How should we interprete the imaginary no.?
You seem not to take the difference between matrices and vector not too seriously. This is a big issue. Consider say a 3-vector (ordinary vector). How do you define such an object ? Usually by giving its transformation law under the rotations. This is equivalent to saying you deal with a certain representation of [tex]SO(3)[/tex].

Alternatively, one can represent such a three vector using a hermitean, traceless 2x2 matrix. This is related to the fact that [tex]SU(2)[/tex] is the covering group of [tex]SO(3)[/tex]. The usual rotation of such a matrix is a unitary transformation. Now the reason for the imaginary numbers is the following : when passing from a Lie group to its algebra, the usual convention is [tex]g=\exp^{\imath G}=\exp^{\imath \alpha^iG_i}[/tex] where [tex]g[/tex] is in the group and [tex]G[/tex] is in the algebra. The [tex]\alpha^i[/tex]s are the coordinates in the [tex]G_i[/tex] basis. The fact that we actually obtain an algebra can be seen as [tex]\exp^{A}\exp^{B}=\exp^{A+B+\frac{1}{2}[A,B]+\cdots}[/tex] where [tex]\cdots[/tex] contain commutators of commutators, commutators of commutators of commutators...
so by the very definition of what generators are, we can infer the fact that the commutator of two generators is a linear combination of the generators : the algebra "closes". In the case of [tex]SO(3)[/tex] we have antisymmetric structure constants : [tex][G_i,G_j]=-\imath\epsilon_{ij}^kG_k[/tex]. Now the punchline : we actually can make the [tex]\imath[/tex] disappear by absorbing it into the generator :
If [tex]G\rightarrow -\imath G[/tex] then [tex]g=\exp^{G}[/tex] and [tex][G_i,G_j]=\epsilon_{ij}^kG_k[/tex]. But then the generators are antihermitean !

For instance, for translation, we can set [tex]P_i=\partial_i[/tex] and for rotations [tex]J_{ij}=x_{[i}\partial_{j]}[/tex] since anyway the [tex]\imath[/tex] is doomed to be canceled eventually.

I think there is not much more into the [tex]\imath[/tex] than convenience for manipulating expressions. In the case of spacetime symmetries it is legitimate to eliminate the [tex]\imath[/tex] from the definition and use antihermitean generators. In the case of internal symmetries, it seems more convenient to keep hermitean generators. Also, complex Lie algebra are nice to use, whereas real Lie algebras require more care (just as real polynomials are not as nice to factorize as complex polynomials).

Again about the vector/matrix "duality" : the [tex]\gamma_\mu[/tex] matrices of Dirac are both spin matrices and (one single) Lorentz vector (the set of Dirac matrices is a vector. Each component of the vector is a matrix). They are the link between Lorentz and spin indices.
Also in the case of Pauli matrices for the fundamental [tex]SU(2)[/tex], the 3-vector "duality" previously mentionned is explicitely

[tex](V)_{\alpha\dot{\beta}}=\left( \begin{array}{cc}V_+,V_1^*\\V_1,V_-\end{array} \right) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \left( \begin{array}{cc}V_0+V_1,V_2-\imath V_3\\V_2+\imath V_3,V_0-V_1\end{array} \right) =V_a (\sigma^a)_{\alpha\dot{\beta}} [/tex]
and in that case also, the Pauli [tex]\sigma[/tex] matrices are (the three components of) a 3-vector (even though each component is a matrix).

EDIT : in the last formula, one should set [tex] V_0 = 0 [/tex] for a three vector. This form displayed also works with 4-vectors.

Last edited:
Thanks. I think I am not far enough to understand what it really means. I am just beginning to understand the formalism of QM. I am not familiar with terms [tex]SO(3)[/tex] and Lie groups. I will read your answer again later, when I am more acquainted with them. :smile:

Related to Insert Latex formulas into the threads?

1. How do I insert Latex formulas into a thread?

To insert Latex formulas into a thread, you will need to surround the formula with dollar signs ($). For example, $x^2$ will display as x². Alternatively, you can use two dollar signs ($$) to center the formula. For example, $$\frac{1}{2}$$ will display as ½.

2. Can I use Latex formulas in any thread?

Yes, most online forums and discussion platforms allow users to insert Latex formulas into their posts. However, it's always a good idea to check the platform's guidelines or rules before doing so.

3. Do I need to have any special software to insert Latex formulas into a thread?

No, you do not need any special software. Most platforms have built-in tools or plugins to format and display Latex formulas. You can also use online Latex editors to generate the code and then copy and paste it into your post.

4. What if my Latex formula is not displaying correctly in the thread?

If your Latex formula is not displaying correctly, make sure you have properly surrounded it with dollar signs ($). Also, check for any syntax errors or missing symbols. If the issue persists, try using a different Latex editor or consulting the platform's help center for troubleshooting tips.

5. Can I use Latex formulas in replies or comments?

Yes, you can use Latex formulas in replies or comments just like in the original thread post. However, some platforms may have character or word limits, so you may need to keep your formulas concise.