Inquiring About Laser: Is It Ionizing Radiation?

In summary, Don't worry about it. What is your native language? Perhaps someone here also knows it. It is possible for an extremely intense laser to excite an atom to a higher excited state and then absorb a second photon to ionize it. This is a process called two-photon or multi-photon absorption, but in general, laser light is not ionizing radiation.
Nickolas
Hi
Could you help me
i want to ask about laser..
is laser ionzing radiation or not?
it verey important to me , some website say it ionzing and some say it is not.
could you help for this :confused:

Science news on Phys.org
Perhaps some are ionizing and some are not. :smile:

Ionizing radiation is radiation in which an individual particle (for example, a photon, electron, or helium nucleus) carries enough energy to ionize an atom or molecule.

The composition of ionizing radiation can vary. Electromagnetic radiation can cause ionization if the energy per photon is high enough (that is, the wavelength is short enough). Ultraviolet light, X-rays, and gamma rays are all ionizing radiation, while visible light, microwaves, and radio waves are not. Ionizing radiation may also consist of fast-moving particles such as electrons, positrons, or small atomic nuclei.

So, some LASERS are ionizing, and some are not. I do not know of any radio wave lasers, are there any? Hmmm... if microwave lasers are called masers, are radio wave lasers called... rasers? :biggrin:

Last edited:
:smile:
i Know that,but look this:

Radiation such as visible light, infrared, microwave, laser, etc. that cause no ionization are non-ionizing radiation
http://www.science.uwaterloo.ca/~cchieh/cact/nuctek/interact.html
look this also;

DOUBLE IONIZATION IN STRONG LASER FIELDS

http://hsbpc1.ikf.physik.uni-frankfurt.de/publications/files/Doerner-ICPEAC2001.pdf
?
please my language is not English
so
:blushing:

Last edited by a moderator:
Nickolas said:
i Know that,but look this:

Radiation such as visible light, infrared, microwave, laser, etc. that cause no ionization are non-ionizing radiation
http://www.science.uwaterloo.ca/~cchieh/cact/nuctek/interact.html
look this also;

DOUBLE IONIZATION IN STRONG LASER FIELDS

http://hsbpc1.ikf.physik.uni-frankfurt.de/publications/files/Doerner-ICPEAC2001.pdf
?

It it possible (as stated in the paper you cite) for an extremely intense laser to excite an atom (or molecule) to a higher excited state and then absorb a second photon to ionize it. This is a process called two-photon or multi-photon absorption. However, in general, laser light is not ionizing radiation.

please my language is not English
so
:blushing:

Don't worry about it. What is your native language? Perhaps someone here also knows it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Laser Jock said:
It it possible (as stated in the paper you cite) for an extremely intense laser to excite an atom (or molecule) to a higher excited state and then absorb a second photon to ionize it. This is a process called two-photon or multi-photon absorption. However, in general, laser light is not ionizing radiation.

Don't worry about it. What is your native language? Perhaps someone here also knows it.

In short, a very strong laser can ionize an atom, called multi-photon absorbtion. Usually lasers are not strong enough to do this.

Could you give me website About multi-photon absorbtion But introduction Because ican't found basic information about
this subject
Thank you very much

Here is one site that talks about multi-photon absorption.

Here is another.

Mk

Laser Jock

Thak you very much :smile:
you are help me a lot .that very kind og you
:shy:

Related to Inquiring About Laser: Is It Ionizing Radiation?

1. What is laser radiation and how does it differ from other types of radiation?

Laser radiation is a type of electromagnetic radiation that is produced by a device called a laser. Unlike other types of radiation, such as x-rays or gamma rays, laser radiation is non-ionizing, meaning it does not have enough energy to remove electrons from atoms or molecules.

2. Is laser radiation harmful to humans?

In general, laser radiation is not harmful to humans. However, some types of lasers, such as industrial or medical lasers, can produce high levels of laser radiation that can cause skin burns or damage to the eyes if proper safety precautions are not taken.

3. Can laser radiation cause cancer?

There is currently no scientific evidence that suggests that laser radiation can cause cancer. As mentioned earlier, laser radiation is non-ionizing and therefore does not have enough energy to damage DNA or cause mutations that can lead to cancer.

4. How can I protect myself from laser radiation?

If you work with lasers, it is important to follow safety protocols and wear appropriate protective gear, such as safety glasses or goggles, to shield your eyes from laser radiation. Additionally, it is important to maintain a safe distance from the laser source and avoid looking directly into the laser beam.

5. Are there any regulations or guidelines for the use of lasers?

Yes, there are several regulations and guidelines that govern the safe use of lasers, including the American National Standards Institute (ANSI) standards and the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) regulations. It is important to follow these guidelines to ensure the safe use of lasers in various settings.