3D subsurface laser engraving for translucent minerals?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of 3D subsurface laser engraving on clear glasses and the difficulty of replicating the same process on relatively translucent minerals. The speaker has read research papers on using lasers for tattoo removal and cancer radiation therapy, but is unsure how to fix the laser's focal point inside translucent materials. They seek advice and suggestions for achieving precision engraving in these materials.
Spin Operator
3D Subsurface Laser Engraving works for clear glasses like Schott BK7 and B9 Borosilicate Glass.

How does one do the same for relatively translucent minerals?

I have read research papers on using lasers for tattoo removal and cancer radiation therapy.
However, I want to know how the laser's focal point can be fixed with precision inside the translucent materials to properly engrave.
Thanks for your help in advance.

Science news on Phys.org
you labelled you post with an "A" tag indicating post graduate level
so what papers have you been reading ?
Spin Operator said:
I want to know how the laser's focal point can be fixed with precision inside the translucent materials to properly engrave.
lenses on the laser source ... same as used for multi layer read and write on a CD or DVD disk

davenn said:
you labelled you post with an "A" tag indicating post graduate level
so what papers have you been reading ?lenses on the laser source ... same as used for multi layer read and write on a CD or DVD disk

Davenn
Read papers from leading journals

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2884836/

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-017-01724-1

I am trying to insert these
into gemstones, many of which are translucent and opaque.

Would appreciate any help, thanks.

Tom.G said:
they are all for surface engraving ... The OP is talking about internal engraving where the surface is left untouched
hence why he is asking about focussing distances ( as they are continuously changing

eg

Laser_glass_sculpture_caffeine_molecule.jpg

19727f_a40717fed3fda56d94eee01155203917.jpg_srz_478_360_85_22_0.50_1.20_0.jpg

the above 2 examples are etched within the blocks of glass/plastic ( not on the surface)

I bought one of dolphins ~ 2" sq and 3" high some years back for my wife ... looks really cool when lit from belowDave

Attachments

• Laser_glass_sculpture_caffeine_molecule.jpg
    Laser_glass_sculpture_caffeine_molecule.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 670
  • 19727f_a40717fed3fda56d94eee01155203917.jpg_srz_478_360_85_22_0.50_1.20_0.jpg
    19727f_a40717fed3fda56d94eee01155203917.jpg_srz_478_360_85_22_0.50_1.20_0.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 613
Spin Operator said:
3D Subsurface Laser Engraving works for clear glasses like Schott BK7 and B9 Borosilicate Glass.

How does one do the same for relatively translucent minerals?

I have read research papers on using lasers for tattoo removal and cancer radiation therapy.
However, I want to know how the laser's focal point can be fixed with precision inside the translucent materials to properly engrave.
Thanks for your help in advance.

Translucent materials may be tough to use due to scattering- you won't get nice well-defined focal volumes. Try sending a sample to an engraving company and see what they can do.

Related to 3D subsurface laser engraving for translucent minerals?

1. How does 3D subsurface laser engraving work on translucent minerals?

3D subsurface laser engraving on translucent minerals involves using a laser to create intricate designs and patterns inside the mineral. The laser removes layers of the mineral, creating a 3D effect, without damaging the outer surface. This process is also known as "crystal engraving."

2. What types of minerals can be used for 3D subsurface laser engraving?

Any translucent mineral can be used for 3D subsurface laser engraving. Some popular choices include quartz, glass, and crystal, as they allow for the laser to penetrate deeper and create more detailed designs. However, other minerals such as agate, amethyst, and topaz can also be used.

3. Is 3D subsurface laser engraving permanent?

Yes, 3D subsurface laser engraving is permanent as the laser creates grooves inside the mineral. However, the designs can fade over time if the mineral is exposed to harsh conditions or is not well-maintained. Proper care and handling can help preserve the engravings for a longer period.

4. Can any design be engraved on translucent minerals?

Yes, almost any design can be engraved on translucent minerals using 3D subsurface laser engraving. The laser technology allows for intricate and detailed designs, including text, logos, and images, to be engraved on the mineral's surface. However, it is important to consider the size and shape of the mineral when choosing a design.

5. What are the applications of 3D subsurface laser engraving for translucent minerals?

3D subsurface laser engraving has various applications, including personalized gifts and awards, decorative pieces, and jewelry. It is also commonly used in the industry for creating serial numbers and other markings on valuable minerals. Additionally, it can be used for scientific purposes, such as creating precise measurements and markings on mineral specimens for research purposes.