Inner Product Proof - Verify on L2[-1,1]

In summary, the conversation discusses a proof involving the inner product of two vectors, and the use of <v,u_i> as a way to solve the problem. The second part of the question involves verifying a set of orthonormal Legendre polynomials and using them to express two given functions as linear combinations. The use of <v,u_i> is suggested as a way to solve the problem, but the student is unsure of how to use it. They are then asked to verify the expressions for the coefficients.
ElijahRockers
Gold Member

Homework Statement

This question has two parts, and I did the first part already I think.

If B = {u1, u2, ..., un} is a basis for V, and
##v = \sum_{i=1}^n a_i u_i##
and ##w = \sum_{i=1}^n b_i u_i##

Show ##<v,w> = \sum_{i=1}^n a_i b_i^* = b^{*T}a##

Here's how I did it:

##<v,w> = <\sum_{i=1}^n a_i u_i , w> = \sum_{i=1}^n a_i<u_i , w>##
## = \sum_{i=1}^n a_i b_i^* <u_i , u_i> = \sum_{i=1}^n a_i b_i^*##
Thus proved... however in class he mentioned ##a_i = <v,u_i >## for doing this but I'm not sure how... I've tried to examine it but I can't seem to justify it. And I think I did the proof without that, since <v,aw> = a*<v,w>

Second part of the question, where I'm confused, is, verbatim:

Verify ##V = L^2 [-1,1]##, where B is the set of orthonormal Legendre polynomials,

##p_0 (x) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}##
##p_1 (x) = \sqrt{\frac{3}{2}}x##
##p_2 (x) = \sqrt{\frac{5}{8}}(3x^2 -1)##

and v,w are replaced by ##x-x^2## and ##12+x-3x^2##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Not really sure where to start... he mentioned a_i = <v, u_i > in class but I don't really feel comfortable with using that here because I don't understand how that's true. ( I feel like it's really simple, and that's why it's bothering me so much) If somebody could point me in the right direction as to why that expression is true, I could probably finish the question..

Physics news on Phys.org
ElijahRockers said:

Homework Statement

This question has two parts, and I did the first part already I think.

If B = {u1, u2, ..., un} is a basis for V, and
##v = \sum_{i=1}^n a_i u_i##
and ##w = \sum_{i=1}^n b_i u_i##

Show ##<v,w> = \sum_{i=1}^n a_i b_i^* = b^{*T}a##

Here's how I did it:

##<v,w> = <\sum_{i=1}^n a_i u_i , w> = \sum_{i=1}^n a_i<u_i , w>##
## = \sum_{i=1}^n a_i b_i^* <u_i , u_i> = \sum_{i=1}^n a_i b_i^*##
Thus proved... however in class he mentioned ##a_i = <v,u_i >## for doing this but I'm not sure how... I've tried to examine it but I can't seem to justify it. And I think I did the proof without that, since <v,aw> = a*<v,w>

Second part of the question, where I'm confused, is, verbatim:

Verify ##V = L^2 [-1,1]##, where B is the set of orthonormal Legendre polynomials,

##p_0 (x) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}##
##p_1 (x) = \sqrt{\frac{3}{2}}x##
##p_2 (x) = \sqrt{\frac{5}{8}}(3x^2 -1)##

and v,w are replaced by ##x-x^2## and ##12+x-3x^2##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Not really sure where to start... he mentioned a_i = <v, u_i > in class but I don't really feel comfortable with using that here because I don't understand how that's true. ( I feel like it's really simple, and that's why it's bothering me so much) If somebody could point me in the right direction as to why that expression is true, I could probably finish the question..

Write ##u(x) =x-x^2## and ##v(x) = 12 + x - 3x^3## as constant-coefficient linear combinations of ##p_0(x), p_1(x), p_2(x)##. You can do it using your instructor's hint, or you can do it for ##u(x)## the hard way, by getting three equations for ##a_0, a_1,a_2## from the identities ##u(x) = a_0 p_0(x) + a_1 p_1(x) + a_2 p_2(x) \; \forall x##. Do the same type of thing for ##v(x)##. Then, if you want to, you can verify explicitly that ##a_i = \langle u,p_i \rangle##, etc.

Related to Inner Product Proof - Verify on L2[-1,1]

1. What is an inner product?

An inner product is a mathematical operation that takes two vectors and returns a scalar value. It is often used to measure the angle between two vectors or to measure the length of a vector.

2. How is an inner product defined?

An inner product is defined as the sum of the products of the corresponding components of two vectors. In other words, it is the dot product of the two vectors.

3. What is the significance of the L2[-1,1] notation?

The L2[-1,1] notation refers to the space of square integrable functions on the interval [-1,1]. This means that the functions in this space have a finite integral over the interval and are continuous.

4. How do you prove an inner product on L2[-1,1]?

To prove an inner product on L2[-1,1], you must show that it satisfies the properties of an inner product. These include linearity, positive definiteness, and symmetry. You can also use the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality to prove an inner product on L2[-1,1].

5. Why is it important to verify an inner product on L2[-1,1]?

Verifying an inner product on L2[-1,1] is important because it ensures that the space of square integrable functions on the interval [-1,1] is a valid inner product space. This allows us to use inner product techniques and properties in this space, which is important in many areas of mathematics and science.