Initial vertical velocity (vertical motion)

In summary, the conversation is about recalling the formula for vertical velocity and factoring polynomials. The speaker also asks for help in writing an equation to find the height of a cricket jumping off the ground and determining how long it takes for the cricket to land. The other person suggests using the equation y=y0+v0yt-16t^2, where y0 is the initial height and v0y is the initial velocity in the y direction. The speaker is then prompted to continue solving the problem.
averyjedwards2
hi there! i can't quite recall the formula for vertical velocity and who to easily factor the polynomials. Help anyone?
here's my example problem:
A cricket jumps off the ground with an initial vertical velocity of 4 ft per second.
A. write an equation that gives the height (in feet) of the cricket as a function of the time (in seconds) since it jumps.
B. after how many seconds does the cricket land on the ground?

thank you! i don't want you to necessarily solve this for me, i just need a little bit of a prompt with how to solve this! thanks so much!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
So you can use $y=y_0+v_{0y}t-16t^2$, where $y_0$ is the initial height, and $v_{0y}$ is the initial velocity in the $y$ direction. Can you proceed from here?

Related to Initial vertical velocity (vertical motion)

What is initial vertical velocity?

Initial vertical velocity, also known as initial upward velocity, is the speed at which an object is initially moving upwards in a vertical direction. It is an important component in understanding the motion of objects in free fall or under the influence of gravity.

How is initial vertical velocity calculated?

To calculate initial vertical velocity, you need to know the height or displacement of the object, the time it takes to reach that height, and the acceleration due to gravity. The formula for initial vertical velocity is v0 = (d - 1/2gt2)/t, where v0 is the initial velocity, d is the displacement, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and t is the time.

What is the relationship between initial vertical velocity and time?

The relationship between initial vertical velocity and time is directly proportional. This means that as the initial vertical velocity increases, the time it takes for the object to reach a certain height also increases. Similarly, if the initial vertical velocity decreases, the time it takes for the object to reach a certain height also decreases.

Can initial vertical velocity be negative?

Yes, initial vertical velocity can be negative. This indicates that the object is initially moving downwards in a vertical direction. It is important to note that the direction of the velocity is relative to the chosen coordinate system, and a negative initial velocity does not necessarily mean that the object is moving downwards with respect to the ground.

How does initial vertical velocity affect the maximum height of an object?

The initial vertical velocity of an object does not directly affect the maximum height it can reach. However, a higher initial vertical velocity will result in the object reaching its maximum height faster, while a lower initial vertical velocity will result in a longer time to reach the maximum height. The maximum height is primarily determined by the initial position and acceleration due to gravity.