Initial velocity of air from tank

In summary, the initial velocity of dry air through a 3" opening in a pressurized tank (150 psi) is 1/2*rho*V^2. The result is V=sqrt(P*2/rho), which is above the speed of sound.
macum
Hi all,

I am trying to work out the initial velocity of dry air, through a 3" opening in a pressurized tank (150 psi).

I thought I should use Bernoulli's eq. as a start: P=1/2*rho*V^2 by changing the formula to give velocity, V = sqrt(P*2/rho)

Then I realized there was no time value in the result.

I'm sure this is a pretty lame question but any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF. You're thinking and process is good here - you wouldn't believe how many people simply ignore units altogether and get wrong results because of it.

There is a neat little trick you can do to units: you can apply an equation to them without even using any numbers. So try writing out the units of the equation f=ma then substiting those units into the "force" part of the pressure units. You should find your final units are the proper units for velocity.

What this means is that the numerical answer won't change from what you already calculated. But you'll find that the answer you got is above the speed of sound. This basic form of Bernoulli's equation is only valid for incompressible flow, which is to say only below about 220 mph. Beyond that, the rules change completely when you get to the speed of sound: the shock waves that form actually prevent the air from going above the speed of sound. This is called "choked flow": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Choked_flow

So what this means for your situation is that the velocity through the orifice of the opening will be exactly the speed of sound. This will tell you the max possible mass flow rate through the opening. And assuming there is no well-shaped diverging duct at the end of this opening, it'll quickly spread out and drop below the speed of sound.

Thanks Russ,
I see what you're saying now. It really had me stumped but now I can proceed with the rest of my calcs.
And thanks for pointing out the "choke", it makes perfect sense and actually simplifies things.

Again, thanks!

Related to Initial velocity of air from tank

What is the initial velocity of air from a tank?

The initial velocity of air from a tank depends on several factors such as the size and shape of the tank, the pressure inside the tank, and the type and condition of the valve used to release the air. It can typically range from 0 to several hundred meters per second.

How is the initial velocity of air from a tank calculated?

The initial velocity of air from a tank can be calculated using the Bernoulli's equation, which takes into account the pressure, density, and height of the air inside the tank. It can also be measured using specialized equipment such as a pitot tube or an anemometer.

What factors can affect the initial velocity of air from a tank?

The initial velocity of air from a tank can be affected by the pressure inside the tank, the size and shape of the tank, the type and condition of the valve used to release the air, and any obstacles or restrictions in the path of the air flow.

Why is the initial velocity of air from a tank important?

The initial velocity of air from a tank is important in various applications such as in pneumatic systems, which use compressed air to power machinery and equipment. It is also important in understanding the behavior of fluids and their interaction with their surroundings.

How can the initial velocity of air from a tank be controlled?

The initial velocity of air from a tank can be controlled by adjusting the pressure inside the tank, the size and shape of the tank, and the type and condition of the valve used to release the air. Additionally, using flow control devices such as nozzles or diffusers can also help control the initial velocity of air from a tank.