Initial Value Problem with Laplace Transforms

In summary, we use Laplace transforms to solve the given differential equation with initial conditions y(0) = 0 and y'(0) = 1. The result is y(t) = exp(-2t) - exp(-t)u(t-2) + u(t-2). This can be verified by plugging it back into the differential equation and checking the initial conditions.
paraboloid
Solve the following given y(0) = 0 & y'(0)=1:
y′′+3y′+2y = u2(t), such that u2(t) is a heaviside step function

Here's what I've got so far,
=>s2Y(s)−sy(0)−y′(0) + 3sY(s)−3y(0) + 2Y(s)= exp(−2s)/s

Y(s) = (exp(−2s) + s) / (s(s2+3s+2))
Y(s) = exp(−2s)/(s(s2+3s+2))* + 1/(s2+3s+2)**

The second part, **, I was able to solve with partial fractions => 1/(s+1) − 1/(s+2) which transforms to exp(−t) − exp(−2t).

However I don't know how to solve the first part, *, since the step function isn't by itself,

Any push in the right direction would be great,

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you required to use laplace transforms to solve this problem? Are you allowed to use any other methods?

For the first term, just ignore the exponential for the moment and take the inverse Laplace of what's left. Then shift your result in time, replacing t with t-2, to take into account the exponential.

In an attempt to learn these types of problems I've made an attempt at the solution.

I'm not sure if I'm correct or not but hopefully somebody else on these forums (vela?), will let me know if I'm on the right track. Maybe you can better understand the problem after seeing my attempt.

(see figures)

Anyone see any problems with my attempt?

Attachments

• LTSFP1.jpg
    LTSFP1.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 421
  • LTSFP2.jpg
    LTSFP2.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 427
Looks good, though you didn't propagate the sign correction you made into the boxed answer. You can always check your answer by plugging it back into the differential equation as well as verifying that the initial conditions are met.

Looks good to me. Wikipedia has a good list of Laplace transform you might want to take a look at for future reference.

Looks good, though you didn't propagate the sign correction you made into the boxed answer.

:biggrin: Whoops!

Glad to hear I came to a resonable solution, this is my first attempt at a problem like this. Hopefully the OP will benefit from my work.

(Next time I'll try not to "hand out" the solution, I just had to know if I was right :wink: )

Related to Initial Value Problem with Laplace Transforms

1. What is an initial value problem (IVP)?

An initial value problem is a mathematical problem that involves finding a function that satisfies a given differential equation and a set of initial conditions. These initial conditions specify the value of the function at a certain point, usually denoted as t=0.

2. How are Laplace transforms used to solve initial value problems?

Laplace transforms are a mathematical tool that can be used to transform a differential equation into an algebraic equation, which is often easier to solve. By applying the Laplace transform to both sides of the differential equation, the problem can be reduced to solving for the transformed function, which can then be inverted to obtain the solution to the original problem.

3. What are the advantages of using Laplace transforms to solve initial value problems?

Some advantages of using Laplace transforms to solve initial value problems include the ability to solve higher order differential equations, the simplification of the problem into an algebraic equation, and the ability to solve problems with discontinuous or piecewise-defined functions.

4. Are there any limitations to using Laplace transforms for initial value problems?

One limitation of using Laplace transforms is that they can only be applied to linear differential equations. Additionally, the initial conditions must be specified at t=0, and the inverse Laplace transform may be difficult to compute for certain functions.

5. Can you provide an example of solving an initial value problem using Laplace transforms?

Sure, consider the differential equation y'' + 4y' + 3y = 0 with initial conditions y(0) = 2 and y'(0) = 0. Applying the Laplace transform to both sides gives (s^2 + 4s + 3)Y(s) = 2s + 1, where Y(s) is the transformed function. Solving for Y(s) and taking the inverse Laplace transform yields the solution y(t) = 2e^(-t) + e^(-3t).