Initial value problem of ord diff eq

In summary, the conversation discusses a specific homework problem involving an equation with initial conditions and the struggle to find a solution using familiar methods. The use of the power series method or changing variables to reduce the equation to the Airy equation is suggested as a possible solution.
Grothard

Homework Statement

3y'' -y' + (x+1)y = 1
y(0) = y'(0) = 0

Homework Equations

Not sure, that's the issue

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't quite get this one using the methods I'm familiar with, and I can't guess a particular solution to neither the equation nor the homogenous version thereof. Do I have to use the power series method?

Physics news on Phys.org
Grothard said:

Homework Statement

3y'' -y' + (x+1)y = 1
y(0) = y'(0) = 0

I can't quite get this one using the methods I'm familiar with, and I can't guess a particular solution to neither the equation nor the homogenous version thereof. Do I have to use the power series method?

Yes, I would expect that.

Use series or change variables to reduce it to the Airy equation.

Related to Initial value problem of ord diff eq

What is an initial value problem of ordinary differential equations?

An initial value problem of ordinary differential equations is a type of mathematical problem that involves finding a function that satisfies a given differential equation and also satisfies a set of initial conditions. The initial conditions provide values for the function and its derivatives at a specific point.

What is the difference between an initial value problem and a boundary value problem?

An initial value problem involves finding a function that satisfies a differential equation and a set of initial conditions at a specific point. A boundary value problem, on the other hand, involves finding a function that satisfies a differential equation and a set of conditions at different points, typically at the boundaries of a domain.

What is the role of initial conditions in solving an initial value problem?

Initial conditions provide the starting values for the function and its derivatives in an initial value problem. These conditions are crucial in determining a unique solution to the problem, as the solution must satisfy both the differential equation and the initial conditions.

What are some common methods for solving initial value problems of ordinary differential equations?

Some common methods for solving initial value problems include the Euler's method, the Runge-Kutta method, and the finite difference method. These methods involve approximating the solution to the differential equation at a series of points and using these approximations to find the function that satisfies the equation and the initial conditions.

Why are initial value problems important in science and engineering?

Initial value problems are important in science and engineering because many physical phenomena can be described using differential equations. By solving these problems, scientists and engineers can make predictions and better understand the behavior of systems in the natural world, such as the motion of objects, the flow of fluids, and the growth of populations.