Inital value problem, Laplace transform

In summary, the conversation discusses solving an initial value problem using second shift theorem, Heaviside function, and Laplace transforms. The problem involves a function g(t) with different values for different intervals of t. The attempt at a solution involves rewriting the problem with Heaviside functions, transforming the original differential equation, and using inverse Laplace transform. However, the solution may be incomplete without considering the initial conditions.
saxen

Homework Statement

Solve inital value problem: x''+2x'+x=g(t)

g(t)=
t 0<t<1
2-t 1<t<2
0 t>2

Homework Equations

Second shift theorem, Heaviside function and Laplace transforms. I denote Heaviside,functuon H(t-a), and Laplace transform with L

The Attempt at a Solution

I rewrote the problem with Heaviside functions:

g(t)=t+(2-t)H(t-1)
L(t+(2-t)H(t-1))= [itex]\frac{1}{s^{2}}[/itex]+[itex]\frac{2e^{-s}}{s^{2}}[/itex]

After this I transformed the original diff. equation and plugged in my transform of g(t). After some simplification I got:G(s)=(1-[itex]2e^{-s}[/itex])([itex]\frac{1}{s^{2}(s+1)^{2}}[/itex])
And after partial fraction decomp. I got:

G(s)=(1-[itex]2e^{-s}[/itex])([itex]\frac{2}{s}[/itex]+[itex]\frac{1}{s^{2}}[/itex]+[itex]\frac{1}{(s+1)^{2}}[/itex])

If I use inverse Laplace transform I get

x(t)=f(t)-2f(t-1)H(t-1)

where

f(t)=(t+2)e[itex]^{-t}[/itex]+t-2

According to my book, this is only about half of the answer. I am missing some step and I can't figure out what is it! All help is appreciated

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I didn't check your work, but I notice that you haven't mentioned the initial conditions. Unless you were given x(0) = 0 and x'(0) = 0 you have left something out, which might explain why you don't have the whole answer.

Related to Inital value problem, Laplace transform

What is an initial value problem (IVP)?

An initial value problem is a type of mathematical problem that involves finding a function that satisfies a given differential equation and a set of initial conditions. The initial conditions specify the values of the function at a specific starting point.

What is the Laplace transform?

The Laplace transform is a mathematical tool used to solve initial value problems involving differential equations. It transforms a function of time into a function of a complex variable, making it easier to solve certain types of differential equations.

How is the Laplace transform used to solve initial value problems?

The Laplace transform is used to solve initial value problems by first transforming the given differential equation into an algebraic equation. This transformed equation can then be solved using algebraic methods, and the solution can be transformed back to obtain the original function.

What are the advantages of using the Laplace transform to solve initial value problems?

The Laplace transform has several advantages, including its ability to easily solve linear differential equations with constant coefficients, its ability to handle a wide range of initial conditions, and its ability to solve differential equations with discontinuous or non-smooth functions.

Are there any limitations to using the Laplace transform to solve initial value problems?

While the Laplace transform is a powerful tool for solving initial value problems, it does have some limitations. It is not suitable for solving all types of differential equations, particularly those with variable coefficients or nonlinear functions. Additionally, the inverse Laplace transform may not always have a closed-form solution, making it difficult to obtain the original function.