Information Theory and Quantum Computers

In summary, a physics major with a strong math and computer science background could potentially pursue a career in quantum computing research.
TheSwager
I want to be a physics major and I am very interested Astrophysics as a final career path. However recently, after reading a few books about it I have become interested in Information Theory and the prospect of Quantum Computers. I have a very strong Math, Physics, and Computer Science background but I was wondering what major/Academic path could lead to doing Quantum Computer research?

Physics news on Phys.org
TheSwager said:
I want to be a physics major and I am very interested Astrophysics as a final career path. However recently, after reading a few books about it I have become interested in Information Theory and the prospect of Quantum Computers. I have a very strong Math, Physics, and Computer Science background but I was wondering what major/Academic path could lead to doing Quantum Computer research?

My 2 cents...not very rigid responses, but based on usual trends. Have thrown in some names you might want to check out using wikipedia.

Math/CS => theoretical/axiomatic quantum computing (algorithms, linear algebra, operators, efficiency, complexity)

Physics => some of the above + research using QM, quantum field theory, quantum electrodynamics (specifically cavity quantum electrodynamics) + realization of quantum computers

EE => the Math/CS stuff + physical realization of quantum computers, quantum circuits, gates, implementation aspects, small measurements/quantum metrology, instrumentation + at least some of the physics stuff (if you have a good background in quantum mechanics). Oh and information theory is a very strong component of EE.

As an example, have a look at the textbook by Nielson and Chuang (one of the standard books on the subject). Issac Chuang (http://web.mit.edu/physics/facultyandstaff/faculty/isaac_chuang.html) has degrees in physics and electrical engineering, whereas Michael Nielson (http://michaelnielsen.org/blog/?page_id=181) has degrees in physics.

PS -- Of all these degrees, imho, CS is the most restrictive as it will (generally) keep you from all the other problems and allow you to focus primarily on the algorithmic aspects of quantum computing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Look for a college that does solid research on quantum computing. A physics degree is probably a good idea and you can then do postgraduate research in quantum computing.

EE => the Math/CS stuff + physical realization of quantum computers, quantum circuits, gates, implementation aspects, small measurements/quantum metrology, instrumentation + at least some of the physics stuff (if you have a good background in quantum mechanics). Oh and information theory is a very strong component of EE.

Not so sure about Electrical engineering. You should cover most of the electrical subjects while doing your physics degree if your college has a strong quantum computing research school.

thanks

TheSwager said:

I'm not so sure about the quantum aspect of computing but information theory can be extended to many areas of science including thermodynamics in physics, modelling investment portfolios in the stock market and other scientific endeavours such as ultimate compression schemes for random strings of information.

If you're interested in astrophysics you will certainly be looking possibly at black holes, its thermodynamics and the information problems associated with them. Information theory plays a huge role here.

I recently purchased a book in information theory which is an electrical/telecommunications book in information theory that explains things from the ground up called Elements of Information theory published by Wiley. Since you said you have a strong background in maths, physics, and computer science I can easily recommend it to you. Its published about 1991 but its still a good book.

With regards to quantum mechanics and information theory unfortunately I have no solid references that I can use to help you get started. I myself want to get into this when the time is right but alas I am still focusing on particular specializations of information theory in computing (not quantum computing though).

Most of information theory has its roots in statistical mathematics, so any book on statistical mechanics that has thorough foundations in explaining entropy, relative entropy, mutual information and the relationships between information and the laws of thermodynamics is your best bet. Hopefully someone specializing in statistical mechanics can guide you here.

Good luck with it all.

Well, first you need to be fairly strong in probability theory. Something at the level of Papoulis, with Feller and Ross as guiding textbooks is a good idea. Probability theory is the backbone of all information theory (classical or quantum). For quantum mechanics, if you're already exposed to calculus, you could begin by reading the Berkeley series, Feynman's volume 3 and Griffiths' book. No matter which of the 3 listed career options you choose, knowing physics is useful. You could also start reading the book on Quantum Computation and Quantum Information by Michael Nelson and David Chuang, which I had referred to in an earlier post.

Related to Information Theory and Quantum Computers

1. What is Information Theory?

Information Theory is a branch of mathematics and computer science that deals with the quantification, storage, and communication of information. It focuses on the fundamental concepts of information, including its measure, representation, and transmission.

2. What is the relationship between Information Theory and Quantum Computers?

Information Theory and Quantum Computers are closely related as both fields deal with the fundamental concepts of information and its manipulation. Quantum computers use principles from quantum mechanics to perform operations on information, which can be applied to improve data storage, encryption, and communication.

3. How do Quantum Computers utilize Information Theory?

Quantum Computers use principles from Information Theory to process and manipulate data. They use qubits, which can represent more information than traditional bits, and can perform operations on multiple pieces of data simultaneously, allowing for faster and more efficient computing.

4. What are some potential applications of Information Theory in Quantum Computing?

Some potential applications of Information Theory in Quantum Computing include improving data encryption, developing more efficient algorithms for data storage and communication, and potentially creating new methods for data analysis and machine learning.

5. What are the current challenges in applying Information Theory to Quantum Computing?

One of the main challenges in applying Information Theory to Quantum Computing is the difficulty in creating and controlling qubits, as they are highly sensitive to external interference. Additionally, there is still a lot of research needed to fully understand the potential of using Information Theory in quantum computing and how it can be integrated into existing systems.