Info on Bessel functions & their use as basis functions.

In summary, A researcher is seeking help solving a set of equations for the constants a, b, and c. The equations involve a basis function for a cylindrical geometry with boundary conditions where J is 0 at the ends of the cylinder. They are having trouble finding textbooks with the necessary information and are looking for references, including the Bessel functions and cylindrical harmonics. A suggested resource is the book "A Treatise on the Theory of Bessel Functions" by G N Watson, available on the Internet Archive.
lievbirman
Hello all,As an exercise my research mentor assigned me to solve the following set of equations for the constants a, b, and c at the bottom. The function f(r) should be a basis function for a cylindrical geometry with boundary conditions such that the value of J is 0 at the ends of the cylinder.

I'm having trouble finding textbooks with the information I must know to solve these equations. If anyone can point me in the right direction I would be very grateful. From what I understand thus far, the functions should be some variant of Bessel functions, and this method is that of basis functions.

equatins.png

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2014-09-28 09:12:15.png
    Screenshot from 2014-09-28 09:12:15.png
    23.7 KB · Views: 532
Physics news on Phys.org

Related to Info on Bessel functions & their use as basis functions.

What are Bessel functions?

Bessel functions are special mathematical functions that were first introduced by the German mathematician Friedrich Bessel in the 19th century. They have applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, and statistics.

What are the properties of Bessel functions?

Bessel functions have several properties that make them useful in mathematical and scientific applications. Some of these properties include orthogonality, recurrence relations, and asymptotic behavior. They also have a specific symmetry property known as the even-odd symmetry.

How are Bessel functions used in practical applications?

Bessel functions have a wide range of uses in various fields. In physics, they are used to describe the motion of a damped harmonic oscillator and the diffraction pattern of a circular aperture. In engineering, they are used to solve problems related to heat conduction and vibration analysis. In statistics, they are used to model data that has a circular or periodic nature.

What is the relation between Bessel functions and Fourier series?

Bessel functions can be used as basis functions for representing periodic functions in a Fourier series. This means that any periodic function can be expressed as a sum of Bessel functions with different coefficients. This makes Bessel functions a powerful tool in analyzing and approximating periodic phenomena.

Can Bessel functions be extended to complex numbers?

Yes, Bessel functions can be extended to complex numbers through the use of the modified Bessel functions. These functions have applications in the study of complex differential equations and signal processing. They also have connections to other important mathematical functions such as the gamma function and the hypergeometric function.