Infinitely many composite numbers

In summary, the conversation discusses how to prove that there are infinitely many values of n for which 6n+1 and 6n-1 are both composite. The participants suggest using proof by contradiction, congruences, and polynomial factorizations to find a pattern and generate a list of numbers that satisfy the given conditions. One participant gives a hint using the polynomial x^2-1, while another suggests multiplying by 6x+1 and 6x-1. Finally, one participant provides a hint to solve the problem in a different way than previously suggested.
bonfire09

Homework Statement

Prove that there are infinitely many n such that 6n+1 and 6n-1 are both composite.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea where to start. I was thinking that this must be some form of Euclid's theorem but I don't know how to work that into this proof.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can do it showing a constructive way to finding such numbers.

Last edited:
So basically I should just generate a sequence for each form and see if I can see a pattern? Then try to prove it? I was thinking of using proof by contradiction, but I'm getting anywhere yet.

My suggestion is first to find a number with those properties. Then, think what you can do to use it to generate numbers with the same property.
Contradiction seems to be a difficult way to me.

Last edited:
I was thinking something with congruences.

I think it can work, but it can be done in a simplier way.

SqueeSpleen said:
I think it can work, but it can be done in a simplier way.

I think you should give bonfire9 a hint, SqueeSpleen. There's nothing wrong with that. Make it a 'little' one. Ok, looks like you're gone. I'll give one. x^2-1 is never prime. Why not? That's a hint.

Ok I am creating a list of the numbers of when they are both composite
n=24,n=31,n=34,n=36,n=41,n=48,... This is what I got but I don't see a pattern Oh so wait (x+1)(x-1)=x^2-1. That is what is similar to (6x-1)(6x+1)=36x^2-1.

bonfire09 said:
Ok I am creating a list of the numbers of when they are both composite
n=24,n=31,n=34,n=36,n=41,n=48,... This is what I got but I don't see a pattern Oh so wait (x+1)(x-1)=x^2-1. That is what is similar to (6x-1)(6x+1)=36x^2-1.

Yeah, but that's not quite what I'm getting at. Sure x^2-1 is never prime for the reason you gave. That means 6^2-1 is composite. That doesn't help for the 6^2+1 part. In fact, it isn't composite. Can you think of some other polynomial factorizations like x^2-1 where instead of "-1" you have "+1"?

Oh you mean like (x+1)^2? That might work since that is always composite.

bonfire09 said:
Oh you mean like (x+1)^2? That might work since that is always composite.

Always composite, yes. But not useful in this problem, is it? x^2-1 is. Isn't it? That can prove 6n-1 is composite if 6n is a perfect square. There's an infinite number of those. You can do something with the 6n+1 if you think harder about other polynomials that factor. Think, think, think. It could be really easy.

Last edited:
Multiply by 6x+1 and 6x-1. Then you get (6x+1)2(6x-1)2 That should ensure its always composite. Yeah I am going to think about it more. I'll reply back when I have an answer. I'll take it from here.

Last edited:
bonfire09 said:
Multiply by 6x+1 and 6x-1. Then you get (6x+1)2(6x-1)2 That should ensure its always composite.

Multiplying almost any two numbers gives you a composite. You don't want to prove the product is composite, you want to prove the two numbers you are multiplying are composite. One more hint. And this might be too many. When is x^3+1 prime?

Dick said:
Yeah, but that's not quite what I'm getting at. Sure x^2-1 is never prime for the reason you gave. That means 6^2-1 is composite. That doesn't help for the 6^2+1 part. In fact, it isn't composite. Can you think of some other polynomial factorizations like x^2-1 where instead of "-1" you have "+1"?

Thanks for giving him the hint, I'm not very good giving the hints without spoiling the complete solution :P
My hint is to solve in a different way that Dick solved it.
Here's my hint:
My first number was 6*20=120, 120=7*17+1 and 121=11*11-1
What can I add to 120 to know I'll have a number with similar properties?

Last edited:

Related to Infinitely many composite numbers

1. What are composite numbers?

Composite numbers are positive integers that have more than two factors. In other words, they are numbers that can be divided by at least three different numbers without leaving a remainder. Examples of composite numbers include 6, 10, and 15.

2. How can you tell if a number is composite?

A number is composite if it is not a prime number. This means that it can be divided by at least three different numbers without leaving a remainder. One way to test if a number is composite is to check if it is divisible by any number other than 1 and itself. If it is, then it is a composite number.

3. Are there infinitely many composite numbers?

Yes, there are infinitely many composite numbers. This is because for every composite number, there will always be at least one more composite number that is greater than it. Therefore, the set of composite numbers is infinite.

4. Can all composite numbers be expressed as a product of prime numbers?

Yes, this is known as the Fundamental Theorem of Arithmetic. It states that every positive integer greater than 1 can be expressed as a unique product of prime numbers. For example, the composite number 24 can be expressed as 2 x 2 x 2 x 3, where 2 and 3 are prime numbers.

5. Why are composite numbers important in mathematics?

Composite numbers play a crucial role in number theory and cryptography. They are also used in various algorithms and mathematical equations. Additionally, understanding composite numbers is essential in identifying and classifying different types of numbers, such as prime numbers and perfect numbers.