Infinite series that converges to pi

In summary, the conversation discusses an infinite series that converges to pi and the speaker is curious about how to prove it. They mention finding similar series online and provide two examples. The other person explains how the series can be seen as a Riemann sum and is equivalent to approximating the area of a quarter unit circle.
keeper1
I stumbled upon this infinite series that converges to [itex]\pi[/itex]:

4[itex]\sum\frac{\sqrt{n^2-i^2}}{n^2} [/itex] for i = 1:n as n[itex]{\rightarrow∞}[/itex]

I haven't been able to find any similar series online and I'm really curious how to prove this does indeed converge to [itex]\pi[/itex]. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
This series appear if you try to compute the area of a quarter unit circle, by approximating with n rectangles in the obvious way (one side being 1/n).

EQuivalently, your sum is a Riemann sum of f(x)=√(1-x2) in the interval [0,1].

Related to Infinite series that converges to pi

1. What is an infinite series that converges to pi?

An infinite series that converges to pi is a mathematical expression that represents the sum of an infinite number of terms, each of which approaches pi as the number of terms increases.

2. How is the infinite series for pi derived?

The infinite series for pi is derived from the Taylor series expansion of the trigonometric function arctan(x) at x=1. By plugging in x=1, the infinite series simplifies to the sum of 1/(2n+1) which approaches pi as n approaches infinity.

3. What is the significance of an infinite series that converges to pi?

An infinite series that converges to pi is significant because it provides a way to approximate the value of pi to a desired level of accuracy. This has practical applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and finance.

4. What is the difference between an infinite series that converges to pi and the actual value of pi?

An infinite series that converges to pi is an approximation of the actual value of pi. The infinite series will approach pi as the number of terms increases, but it will never reach the exact value of pi.

5. Can any other infinite series converge to pi?

Yes, there are several different infinite series that converge to pi, such as the Gregory-Leibniz series and the Machin formula. However, the infinite series derived from the Taylor series expansion of arctan(x) at x=1 is the most commonly used and well-known series for approximating pi.