Infinite Series: sigma n^2/(n^2 +1)

In summary, if the limit of the argument in a sum is not equal to 0, then the sum itself diverges. However, if the limit is equal to 0, it is not possible to determine whether the sum converges or diverges. This can be seen through examples such as the harmonic series which has a limit of 0 but still diverges.
anderma8
If I take the limit on the sum... I get 1/1 = 1

If the limit does NOT = 0 then sigma f(x) diverges...I'm not quite sure I follow this... Does this mean that in order for the equation to converge, the sum (sigma) must be = to 0?

Physics news on Phys.org
You're again confusing the limit of the argument (here n^2/(n^2 +1)) with the actual sum, which is the limit of

[tex]\sum_{n=1}^N\frac{n^2}{n^2+1}[/tex]

as N-->infty.The theorem is saying that if the limit of the argument is not 0, then you must conclude that the sum diverges. If it IS 0, then you cannot conclude anything: the sum could converge or diverge.

For instance, consider the old harmonic series

[tex]\sum\frac{1}{n}[/tex]

Sure, 1/n-->0 but it is well known that the harmonic series diverges nonetheless.

Last edited:

No, it does not mean that the sum must be equal to 0 in order for the series to converge. The statement is saying that if the limit of the terms in the series (in this case, n^2/(n^2+1)) does not approach 0 as n approaches infinity, then the series will diverge. In other words, if the terms in the series do not get smaller and smaller as n increases, then the series will not converge. In this case, since the limit of n^2/(n^2+1) is equal to 1, the series will diverge. This means that the sum of the infinite number of terms in the series will not have a finite value.

Related to Infinite Series: sigma n^2/(n^2 +1)

1. What is an infinite series?

An infinite series is a sum of an infinite number of terms. It is written in the form of sigma (Σ) followed by an expression and the values of the variable it is summed over.

2. What is the formula for the infinite series sigma n^2/(n^2+1)?

The formula for this infinite series is: ∑ n^2/(n^2+1).

3. What is the significance of the variable n in the infinite series formula?

The variable n represents the index or position of each term in the series. It starts from n=1 and increases by 1 for each subsequent term.

4. How do you determine the convergence of an infinite series?

The convergence of an infinite series can be determined using various convergence tests, such as the ratio test, root test, and integral test. These tests help to determine if the series will approach a finite value or diverge to infinity.

5. What is the sum of the infinite series sigma n^2/(n^2+1)?

The sum of this infinite series is approximately 1.0986. However, since it is an infinite series, the sum is never exactly reached, but rather approached as more terms are added.